i. hidden messages

CHAPTER ONE;
hidden messages

          TIME AWAY FROM FAMILY could sometimes be a living nightmare for certain teenagers

TIME AWAY FROM FAMILY could sometimes be a living nightmare for certain teenagers. Missing the comfort of their parents or siblings, hating the responsibility of doing chores independently — or just at all — and despising the idea of not being able to cuddle up in the warmth of their bed back at home after enjoying themselves till the late evening hours.

Austin Hernández was not one of those certain teenagers.

Over the past five years, the Hernández family had been pulled like an elastic band, day in and day out. Each parent stretching either end, until one night — they both just snapped. And unfortunately, the only child was stuck in the middle; forced to choose who he wanted to stay with.

Shouting, screaming echoed through the household as a teary-eyed Maria threw any item she could find at her now ex-husband, Alexander Hernández, after finding out about his latest affair with his boss. But even though Austin had been cradled up in his own room upstairs, those heartbreaking words couldn't have been heard any clearer.

❝Did you ever really love me?

The teenager never got the answer to his mother's question; but he knew it could never have been good.

Months later, divorce meeting after divorce meeting and custody hearing after custody hearing, no definite answer was ever discussed nor confirmed by the judge as to who would have custodial rights over Austin. It was simply, up to him. Technically, both his mother and father  had clean records, were wealthy as well as highly respected across West Ham. Therefore, they was nothing to discredit them as unreliable parents.

In his opinion, the answer couldn't have been the easiest decision, but it also couldn't have been the hardest either. His father was family at the end of the day, he was blood. But after months of torture Alexander Hernández had put both his son and ex-wife through, blood may not always be thicker than water.

Now, Austin was packing the last of his necessities into his red backpack that he needed for the senior year's camping trip to the Smoky Mountains. His mother overlooking the items he was and wasn't taking since it was likely that the Hernández boy would end up bring the whole of his art supplies since he could rarely go without them.

❝Darling, do you really need bring five different sets of paints with you?❞ Austin's mother inquired as he delicately placed his other set of watercolours into his bag, stuffing everything roughly into the bottom so he could make space for all of his brushes too.

Austin turned to face his mother, ❝Yes.❞ he bluntly answered before continuing with his ridiculous amount of packing. However, judging by Maria Laban long-standing silence, Austin knew his mother was not believing that. Looking back at her once again, Austin clearly recognised the facial expression plastered across his mother's face. Eyebrows raised, slightly cocked head and she even had her arms crossed — the intimidating 'not on my watch, boy' look was her signature face; and despite the fact that Austin inherited the face, it also worked perfectly on him too.