II - Earth Skills

Gentle sunlight woke me the next morning. For the first time in a long time, I had awakened feeling refreshed, without dreading the pointless repetitive events of the day to come. I sat up, relishing in the tranquil feeling. Dew covered the grass beneath me, glistening gently in the morning rays of the sun. Like most everyone else, I had slept outside, beside the ashes of the fire. All our lives we had been confined in a hunk of metal, but now we finally had the chance to sleep beneath the stars like our ancestors had. No one really wanted to spend more time inside the drop ship.

It wasn't that early in the morning, but it was early enough that most of the camp was quiet. I figured it was the most opportune time for me to finish putting my weapons together. Finding something for the string of my bow was at the top of my agenda. I was going to steal Bellamy's shoelace just to spite him, but then I stumbled upon some nylon rope which admittedly, I knew would be much more effective. Less petty, but more practical. Which I supposed was the more important point.

As the sun rose steadily higher in the cloudless sky, and the camp began to stir, I took a seat beneath a wide tree just on the edge of camp to work in peace. Stringing the bow was much harder than I thought it would be, but after a tedious half hour, I finally had a perfect weapon. I drew it back a few times to test if it would hold. Thankfully, it did, and rather nicely. With the remainder of the nylon, I strung together the piece of metal and the wood to fashion a dagger.

Just as I finished the last touches on my dagger, a girl approached me. She was definitely one of the younger delinquents, and I wondered what someone so young could have done to wind up in the skybox.

"Hello," she greeted me, a nervous smile on her face. "I'm Charlotte."

"Hey," I replied, turning back to my weapons. "I'm Y/n."

"What're you doing?"

"I am making a bow and arrow." I held up the bow and pulled the string back, making a phsss sound with my lips, mimicking firing an arrow. It seemed to delight Charlotte, and I smiled. Maybe I did have a chance at meeting someone decent. "Now, I just need to find some wood for the actual arrows."

"I can help," Charlotte offered. "I've got nothing better to do."

I shrugged. Wandering deeper into the woods with a quiet kid was better than sitting here and letting someone infuriating like Bellamy come bother me. "Sure, why not?"

Together, we set off through the trees and by early afternoon, not only did I have a full quiver worth of arrows, but I also had made a new friend. As the day wore on, I sat under the shade of a willow tree perfecting my arrows and making sure none of them would fly at an awkward angle. I even managed to teach Charlotte how to shoot a few rounds. While not the best, she did show promise. I would have liked to keep teaching her, but she had clearly grown weary, so I sent her back to rest.

After firing a few more rounds alone, I began to bore and decided to head back within the camp. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Maybe talk to Charlotte. Along the way, I didn't really have to make up my mind because I ran right into Wells. He was carrying some clothes in his arms.

"Where'd you get those?" I asked him, slinging my bow over my shoulder.

"I buried the boys that died when the dropship landed," Wells said, his voice heavy. I maybe could have guessed that had I taken a closer look at the layer of dirt over his hands and boots. Guilt washed over me. He shouldn't have had to do that alone.

I put what I hoped was a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You could have come and found me. I would have liked to help."

Wells smiled, a genuine smile that lifted my spirits. "Thanks."