Prologue

"Bianca Melanie Edwards! Get your butt down here you're going to be late for school!" My mom screamed at me from the kitchen, I was rushing to towel dry my hair. I had put in an extra 30 minutes of training this morning which set everything I normally did in the morning back. I had already done my makeup, my clothes were on, so I figured I'd just sacrifice breakfast and my hair this morning. 

 I was wearing high waisted blue jeans, a sporty red top, and some ballet flats.

 I ran downstairs and grabbed one of the granola bars from the counter while saying,

 "Bye mom, love you, see you after school!" After grabbing my leather jacket I ran outside to my car and got in. The clock read 8:03, it takes me 10 minutes to get to school and the first bell rings at 8:15. As long as there wasn't a lot of traffic I'd be ok; while driving I thought back to my training that morning.

 My parents were hunters and when I turned 18 I'd become one too, they'd been teaching me for years how to be strong, independent, and capable of defending myself while going on the offensive. My parents were strict and very overbearing at times, it just encouraged me to go off on my own and be more independent so I didn't have to deal with their antics. I got along with some of the other girls and guys in the hunter circle, it was almost like our own little secret community, after all, one day we'd be hunting together and a bonded group works better than a divided group.

 However, my parents weren't completely happy with my choices in friends, particularly my boyfriend of one year who they had yet to meet. I kept putting it off because I really liked him and I didn't want them to reject him as they did with some many. My boyfriend, Alexander, had no affiliation with the hunter's circle, that my parents knew, and I liked it that way. As much as I wanted to become a hunter, I wanted to be normal as well.

 I pulled into a parking spot, 8:12, and after getting out I flung my backpack on and rushed into the building. My high school was impossibly large, there were three floors and it was very easy to get lost; luckily, my first period was on the first floor so I didn't have to walk too far and I wouldn't get too lost. I'd been going here since I wad a freshman and I still got lost, even as a senior this school was still a corn maze at a creepy Halloween carnival. 

 On my way to my first period, I saw Alexander, the bell hadn't quite rung yet so I stopped to talk to him.

 "Hey bumble bee, how is my lovely lady this fine morning." I giggled at the pet name he'd given me, a spin on my nickname Bee.

 "I am quite well, how are you?" I asked.

 "Great, now I have some big plans for our date tonight-" I cut him off,

 "Wait, what? I didn't know we were having a date tonight." I was confused, it's not like he'd never sprung anything on me last minute but he usually gave me a day or two. He knew my parents were organizing addicts and liked dragging me along to their "business" meetings, so he never tried springing anything up on me.

 "I know it's late,"

 "Lex, it's literally tonight." 

 "Listen to me bumblebee," he was starting to get impatient and annoyed at my constant butting in. He had a short temper but he kept it in check.

 "Our two year anniversary is next week and I think it's time for me to meet your parents." I froze up,

 "Oh no! You know exactly how I feel about that, they don't even know you're coming!" He paused,

"It's ok, I just want to sit down with them before or after our date and introduce myself." I sighed and rubbed my forehead, I really did not want to do this and I was dreading my parent's reaction.