Johnny Martin

Well it's cold. Damn cold.

Why do we have to do this? What is the point. I sat alone cold and tired.
We were sitting in a basement the next morning after the patrol. I sat next to Johnny and he tried to keep me warm. He barely showed emotion but when he did he was worried about me. I have tried to tell him that I was fine but it's nice to know someone cares.

We all sat in silence and looked at one another. I coughed and Johnny held me tighter. I looked up at him and he looked down at me. His cheeks were red, his hair was messy and he had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep, But somehow he looked put together. 

Lieutenant Jones had someone light his cigarette. I looked at him and he nodded at me I gave him a weak smile.

"what are you looking at Webster?" I knew it was Cobb who said that. Webster looked away immediately.

"That's what I thought collage boy" Cobb slurred.

"Are you drunk trooper?" Lt Jones asked.

"Leave me alone"

"Answer the question" Jones said with force.

"Yes, sir I am drunk, sir" Cobb slurred. "Drunk, sick and tired of fucking patrols, taking orders-"

"Hey, Cobb. Shut up" Johnny said. I knew he would get pissed. "Its boring okay?" Johnny continued.

"Taking his side, Johnny?" Cobb asked.

"Yeah, I am" Johnny answered. 

"Showing off to your little girlfriend?" Cobb teased. "she's not even good looking"

That was Johnny's breaking point. I got shoved off slightly and Johnny got up. He stood in front of me and faced Cobb. 

"What did you just say?" Johnny asked full of anger.

"That your little girlfriend wasn't good looking" Cobb replied.

Johnny was about to take a step. I grabbed his arm. He looked at me and I shook my head. He looked at Cobb then me. He sighed and sat back down and held me again. 

Winters came in an we all stood at attention. He briefed us and told us that Colonel Sink was proud and wanted us to make another trip. Johnny looked at me briefly with worried eyes.

"Is that clear" He asked.

"Yes, Sir" we all said.

"Good. Because I want you to get a full night's sleep tonight." 

We all looked at him saying nothing and showing no emotion.

"In the morning, you will report that you made it across the river . . . into German lines . . . but were unable to secure any live prisoners" He said. "Understand" 

"Yes, Sir" we collectively said.

"Good, look sharp tomorrow we are moving off the line" He said and left.

Soon after everyone filtered out. Johnny and I stayed behind. He walked over to me and gave me a real smile, I smiled back. He leaned in and kissed me. I was shocked at first and then kissed him back. We pulled apart, he took my hand and we walked out to the cold air.

___________________________________________ 

Hey! I know its been awhile but I'm back and i'm writing again.
I am trying to get through all my requests!
Bye lovelies!