Chapter 9

(A/N: Get ready for some length. Meaning a long AF Chapter.)

Chapter 9: Heat

"Vital Signs are incredibly important in regards to treating a patient." She explained, pointing to the photo that was being projected behind her. "Chances are that if you go into any type of nursing, you will have to look at vital signs. That is why the sooner you can become comfortable with checking these, the better."

Mark nodded, pen moving quickly over his notebook as he took notes. Mason took a fleeting glance over at Mark but wasn't able to really take in the sight before he got back to his own notes.

"Now, I am going to go over the main vital signs and go into detail with the ones we are going to be practicing today." Mrs. Adams warned, clicking to the next slide in her presentation. "If I were you, I would take some notes so you don't forget when you have to do it on your partner."

The hardy chuckle she let out was hesitantly returned, most of the people in front of her genuinely worried about their partner or themselves.

Mason and Mark shared a look, but the bright smile Mark sent Mason's way seemed to ease any nerves Mason had before they even started.

Today, the students were learning about vital signs. While some were nervous, it was easy to feel the general excitement in the room. Vital signs as Lorraine had said before, were very important to medical professionals.

Not only that, but these could be practiced outside of class and perfected before any of them went into school. Mason was especially excited to practice some of the techniques on his friends once they hung out again.

Lorraine went through her presentation, focusing the most on Blood Pressure and Temperature. Mark quickly realized that he and Mason would be practicing those two today and got a little nervous.

He had heard from others who had tried taking Blood Pressure before how challenging mastering the sphygmomanometer and stethoscope could be. Mark looked over at Mason again, smiling when he saw how excited and interested Mason seemed to be.

It can't be that bad. Mark thought optimistically, a soft smile on his face as he went back to his notes. The presentation went on for a while, and many began to lose steam. Gabe, one who was very disinterested in becoming a nurse anyway, had begun sleeping within 15 minutes.

Left and right some began to fall into a daze or fall asleep. Mason did not notice any of it while Mark chuckled under his breath at the sight.

Lorraine looked down at the crowd again noticing how many of them were asleep and sighed with a warm smile before she finished up her presentation.

She stepped down from the stage and gestured for the few employees who had been sitting at tables at the front to start handing out the supplies in front of them.

"I guess we should just hop straight into the practice since so many of you decided to nap over the details." The laughs that came from Lorraine and those who had stayed awake woke every person who had been napping in the room.

One of Lorraine's employee's heads shot up at the sound and the girl quickly stood up and began passing around the small packages in front of her.

Mark and Mason sat up straighter, excited to start the practice. Mason was especially excited to have another excuse to touch Mark. As a guy who has held an unrequited crush for so long, opportunities for skin to skin contact were always coveted, so he was pumped for this.

Pining after Mark for so long, while always believing that he could never have him was a confusing experience. His mind and heart worked together to hurt him just as easily as they worked against each other to confuse him. Mason was constantly caught between being realistic and trying to give his heart to someone who would give him theirs or to end the cycle and try to move past friendship with Mark.