Chapter 3

Cleo Washington POV

Last night was the worst night of my life.

When Keilani showed me what I'd be sleeping in, I almost cried. None of us have pillows, blankets, or even beds.

That's not even the worst part. I am a bit dramatic when it comes to my resting place because it's supposed to be a place I can relax and enjoy.

Being here has turned one of my greatest joys in life, sleeping, into a total nightmare.

Who the hell sleeps in a coffin unless your dead? 

Yep that's right there were ten coffins laid out in the dark room, one by one.

At first sight I asked, " Is this a joke?"

Keilani just whispered, " I wish. I think it's scaring tactic to make people become more obedient."

A girl with ombre hair and green eyes heard and said, " Or it could be a look into our future here." That gave me an instant chill.

When the lights switched off, I decided to try and sleep in the coffin. It wasn't a coffin with nice velvet coating, it was made purely out of wood. Every time I moved, I swear I got a new splinter.

At one point on the night I tried to see if Keilani was awake so we could talk instead of sleep. When I was about to get up, I found a pair of dark blue orbs belonging to a skinny boy looking at me.

I was instantly creeped out so I laid back in the coffin until the automatic lights switched on. 

A loud speaker went on and it said, " Wake up recruits. Food is in the living center."

YES FOOD! I've never heard such a better word to get me out of a slum of a week.

I guess my excitement shown because Keilani patted me on the shoulder and said, " Before you get too excited, you should see the food first."

It can't be that bad right?

We all assembled into the living center, which was the room everyone was lined up yesterday.

When we got there, everyone started to line up, so I followed Keilani and did the same as her.

Grumpy, and a few other people I didn't recognize were there and they started handing out brown lunch bags.

Once they were finished they left the living center and locked the door behind them.

I looked inside the bag and found raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and sunflower seeds.

Honestly I was expecting worse from the way Keilani reacted. This is just the type of food my mom makes me eat when we are going on a cleanse.

I saw Keilani scrunching her nose in disgust and said, " Why do these people feed us rabbit food?"

I couldn't help but laugh. That's the first time I've done that in a while. If Keilani wasn't here, I don't know what I'd do. 

The guy speaking to Jace earlier said, " So Keilani are you going to introduce her to us or what?"

Keilani looked at me like I should say something so I said, " I'm Cleo."

The guy says, " Ah and what a voice the angel has". Then he winked at me.

Keilani rolled her eyes and said, " And that lonely jerk is Blayze." Many people laughed while Blayze glared at her.

A girl with red hair and brown eyes who was really pretty approached me and said, " I'm Amira, but my friends call me Amy. You may call me Amira". She then sashayed over to Jace trying to start up a conversation.