Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 4

A hand slammed onto the top of Kamree's desk, making her jump out of her skin. "Hey!"

Her heart pounded. Until she looked up at the person. "Adam!" She threw a crumpled sticky note at him. "What's your problem?"

The handsome record producer grinned down at her. His white teeth contrasted nicely with the caramel color of his skin. "Gotta stay on your toes, Kamree."

Kamree snorted, a soft exhale from her nose. "Sure, Adam. And what type of business brings you all the way up here?"

Adam put a hand over his chest. "Kamree, I'd climb this tower every day to see you if I could."

The words made her laugh. Adam was engaged to a cute, brown-haired receptionist downstairs. His devotion to her could never be denied, but he still liked to joke around. His fiancée had never had a problem with it. "Okay, Romeo. Get yourself together."

Adam stuck his thumb toward Daxton's office. "Is he there?"

"Yeah." Kamree glanced down the hall, her eyes staying on Daxton's door. He'd been quiet when he came back from lunch, barely saying a word to her. She hated to say it, but it made her worried. "He's been weird since he came back from lunch."

Adam tapped the desk once with his hand and then stepped back. "Time to let the best friend figure it out."

"Thanks, Adam."

"Sure thing."

Adam headed down the hallway, closing the door to Daxton's office with a quiet click. Kamree tried not to be nosy, but as the minutes passed, she couldn't help glancing down the hall again and again for Adam or Daxton to come out.

"Snooping?"

Kamree's eyes flickered to Becca. "No."

"Yeah, okay."

She sighed and went back to entering her boss' expense report into the computer. Daxton usually got weird after his mother visited or they went to lunch together. Almost like she took the wind out of his sails. Which sucked because Kamree enjoyed hanging around the relaxed, somewhat goofy Daxton.

Around three, Daxton finally came out of his office. Adam had come and gone, giving Kamree and Becca a wink as he left.

Kamree's fingers paused over the keyboard. "Hey." She reached for the sticky note she'd kept next to the phone. "You okay?"

Daxton had a somberness about him. Right now, he was covering it with a pathetic excuse for a smile, but Kamree could tell something was off. "I'm fine." He played it off. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason." Kamree inwardly shrugged and handed him the small note. "Here you go, Mr. Cavenaugh."

Daxton looked it over, then back at her. "This is all the people who left a message?"

Kamree nodded. "There were three. Mr. Jefferson, Mrs. Feringer, and a Mr. White."

"Thank you. Although I don't remember asking you to hold my calls."

Shit. She messed up. Her face began a slow burn. "Mr. Cavenaugh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean—"

"It's alright, Kamree. I'm just messing." Daxton crossed his arms and leaned on the tall desk. A smile curved the corner of his lips. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Daxton glanced over at Becca and then back. His fingers found the cuff of his white shirt and messed with it. "Hey, what are you doing tomorrow night?"

Kamree sat back in her chair. "Why?" Whatever it was, she'd have to decline. There would be no chance she'd leave little eight-year-old Paisley at home by herself. Did he want her to stand in at one of his functions? Becca did that sometimes for Daxton's father.