introduction

S U M M A R Y

S U M M A R Y

The year is 1942.

Sebastian Valente has a secret. A secret that could not only cost him his candidacy, but also his life. It's up to him to align his priorities and make sure no one catches wind of what he's hiding. Trust no one, they said, but surely they didn't mean his little sister Jacqueline, right?

Alonso Valente wants to win. Alonso craves victory as a soldier yearns for a faraway lover's embrace. Indeed, Sebastian had always been the one beaming with charisma, but it was always Alonso who practiced leadership and honed his wit at such an early age. They say blood is thicker than water, but no one ever mentioned anything about power. Sebastian must step down.

Jacqueline Valente is looking for a way out. All she wants to do is get away from the war that took their father, and away from the elections tearing her brothers apart. For the most part, away has meant being tucked safely in the attic poring over novels. But what happens when the war itself comes knocking right at her door?

Augustus Larssen is dying. He had been braving the tropical forests of the Philippine Islands for what felt like forever, as he had lost track of time far too long ago. He cannot remember when he last saw a human being—he barely remembers how it felt to be human, for the casualties of war have stripped him of all humanity . . . almost. Augustus was dying, but at the very least, he knew he was dying to live.

The islands of the Philippines are neck deep in terms of its involvement in the Second World War. The municipality of San Francisco is now at its most vulnerable, and it's up to the Valentes to determine the fate of the once prosperous city once and for all.

But it seems as though the Valentes are heading in different directions.

A U T H O R ' S  N O T E

Hello!

Before anything else, I want you to know how grateful I am that you even considered opening this book. This story has been begging to be written for more than a year now. From the moment I heard it at the family reunion, I knew I just had to start writing. Time Bombs is loosely based off of my family's war story, emphasis on the word loosely, because I only borrowed one element from the original tale. This book is also classified as historical fiction, so there will be inconsistencies as well as fictional names, places, and events. I had to bend some actual rules and happenings to make this story come to life, so the elements of this novel are not factual unless stated. Each chapter will be dedicated to an American soldier who gave up their life in the Pacific War, because the whole point of this novel is to get more folks interested in history, particularly World War Two. It is of greatest importance to me, and I cannot wait to share my love for it with the rest of you. The year is 1942, welcome to Time Bombs.

C O P Y R I G H T  N O T I C E

Copyright 2019 Roskildes/A. Lindbergh. All rights reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced, copied,  or utilized by any form or by any means, without the prior written consent of the author.

EST.
JUNE 14, 2019