Chapter Eighteen: Missing

I know a lot of people on wattpad usually say something at the top before they begin their chapter, but thats only because they have interesting lives and since I don't then I don't really have anything to write :p

So on with the story!

~~~~~

Kat could feel the blood drain from her face while her entire body stiffened, she felt like a corpse. A cold dead corpse. Everywhere she looked, there were posters and fliers covering the school grounds, all which had her face on it and the word, 'MISSING' in thick black lettering beneath her portrait. Her eyes were glued to the poster closest to them taped to a pole in the parking lot by the car. She took a deep shaky breath and stepped out looking at the poster, she walked over to it touching the picture delicately trailing her fingertips over her face then her eyes flickered up to her forehead where the bruise was. She remembered that day so vividly. It was her school picture from last year and for a moment she flashed back to that day.

It was the third week of school, a monday as she remembered, picture day...She had forgotten to do a chore the night before so when she was running out the door so not to be late, her dad was waiting in the kitchen for her. Immediately, she knew something was wrong because he was never awake when she was leaving for school. "Dad?" She said cautiously stopping at the door watching him. He stood from the table with a beer bottle in hand which was half empty. Great. Hardly eight and he was drunk. She pursed her lips taking a small step back as he stood. "The dishwasher." He pulled it open, "Any explanation as to why its not emptied?" His words were slurred a bit. Kat's eyes widened and she mentally slapped herself hard for forgetting, but that slap was not as hard as she received from her father for not doing. She left that morning with tears in her eyes and a bruise on her forehead that she had not woken up with.

Jake's voice pulled her back to the present, "Kat! Car! Now! Get in!" He hissed at her looking upset. He was obviously not taking the posters well either. She ran climbing into the car and before she had even gotten completely settled or even buckled, he took off speeding out of the parking lot and into the street. Her eyes were wide and she grabbed her buckle hastily fumbling with it before finally getting it buckled in. She looked over at Jake who had his eyes narrowed and locked on the road, his knuckles were turning white because of how tight he was gripping the wheel. Kat opened her mouth to tell him that it was all going be okay, but instead she shrieked out as he swerved a car then ran a red light. She threw her hands out in front of her bracing herself for impact.

"Stop!" She screamed as they ran the first light, then a second and cars were honking at them, she looked over at him with wide eyes and her hands held out in front of her. "Dammit." He cursed hitting the wheel as he turned sharply into his driveway and stopped the car with a jerk. Kat lurched forward before falling back and hitting her head against the seat, she sat there for a moment trying to catch her breath before she looked over at him in disbelief then got out of the car trembling and slammed the door shut before walking inside and up to her room. She laid there silently taking deep breaths trying to process all that had happened. She stuffed a pillow over her face and squeezed her eyes shut trying hard not to cry, she hated crying. For thirty minutes she laid like that not moving and trying to hold her tears back when suddenly she felt a hand on her back. The unexpected touch made her flinch and she quickly sat up looking to see that it was Jake. "Kat...I'm sorry about what happened. I don't know what came over me."

She nodded looking at him the looked down and he watched her then sat down beside her, "I saw the signs and--and I had to get you out of there. Thats all I could think of. I just knew that I had to keep you safe." He sighed looking down then glancing up at her to see she was looking at him now. "Because I really like you." Kat's stomach dropped at those words and for a moment she could do nothing, but stare at him. He got a strange look on his face and he started pulling back, "I'm sorry. I-" She cut him off by pulling him back onto the bed and kissing him. Jake responded back eagerly without hesitation. He pulled her into his lap and her legs slowly wrapped around his waist straddling him, his fingers trailed up her spine before reaching her hair and raking his fingers through it.

After a moment of passionate kissing, hair tugging, and a bit of hip grinding. Kat had to pull back for air, "I-I don't know if I'm ready to go any further than that." She admitted sheepishly looking down and he smiled lifting her chin, "I'm okay with that." She nodded looking in his eyes before she crawled out of his lap and laid down placing her head where she had been sitting seconds ago. "What now?" She whispered after a moment of silence. Jake looked down at her and shook his head, "What do you mean?" Kat sighed, "About the posters." He looked away not saying a word for what seemed like a long time before he admitted, "I don't know."

"Go back to school." She sat up and looked at him, "If you don't, you'll look suspicious." She touched his hand. Immediately, he rejected the idea, "No! No way. I'm not leaving you here alone." Kat pursed her lips looking in his eyes, "You have an alarm system. I'll be okay." She leaned forward kissing his cheek and playfully pushed his shoulder, "Go on." Jake looked at her for a moment, "Are you sure?"
Kat nodded, "Positive." He nodded slowly then stood, "Alright. Call me if you need anything." He kissed her forehead before walking out reluctantly. When she heard the door close downstairs, she knew what she had to do. She had to leave.

~~~~~

Meh. My stomach feels weird