The demon's pact

If 10 years ago, you had told me I would be working in the dark, hunting ghosts and demons, I would've laughed. And yet here I'm, a demon hunter with most number of successful excorsism. I'm well known among hunters as well as demons. If a little money comes with fame, well, who am I to deny it. With time, my greediness for fame and money just increased. With it, my arrogance. After all I was the best, or I thought so. I'd never botched up any Excorcism before that case.

It was the evening of January, 31st. 1999.

I was at The Williamson's store. A single place to get all supplies needed by people like me, the paranormal hunters. Like all places, this job has a heirarchy too. Demon hunters own the top position.

When I entered the store, the place was filled with claps and praises. Like usual, i was centre of attention. I was used to flatteries. And I could see the poisons behind them.

"Hey Sam." I greeted the shop owner, my only friend. The only person I trusted.

" Alysaa! You're awesome man. The first time you came here, I really thought you would be dead in a week. And now here we are."

"All thanks to trusts, friends like you have in me." I mocked.

"So, what can I help you with?"

"I'm out of holy water. And bullets too, please. Some sandalwood, while you're on it. And a mug of mead would be awesome."

"Haha.. on it."

He passed me my mug and went to gather my supplies.

" Alyssa?" A man in expensive suit, asked.

"Yes?"

"I've heard a lot about you. They say only you can help me."

"Mr. Collins! Can I get you something?" Sam was back.

"Nothing, thanks Sam." He had his attention back on me.

"My wife. She's possessed by a demon. Three hunters have tried and failed the excorcism. You're my last hope, please."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Collins right? Look you've my sympathy but right now, I'm really busy. Sam, refill my cup please."

"I'll pay you 30,000 dollars."

"I appreciate but I really got no.."

"Okay 50,000 dollars."

"Done." I said. "Your address?" He gave me his card.

"Thanks." He shook my hand and left.

"You really should pass this one." Sam said.

"That guy just offered me 50,000 dollars. I can just get retired and live rest of my life in luxury."

"All three of the hunters died."

"Well, they must not have been good enough."

"Alyssa, I'm the only one who actually cares for you, you know? This demon is not like others."