Scared

Grace Pov

I walked into the house I shared with my girlfriend Petra, who was upstairs working in her office. I take off my black heels,  jacket and my black briefcase in the coat closet and walk upstairs to the bedroom. I switch my black pantsuit for a white T shirt and plaid PJ pants. I sit down on the bed and started  reading my book when I heard footsteps come into the bedroom. I looked up and saw Petra walk in with her Pajamas on. "Hey Graciebear" she coed. I smile and kiss her on the cheek. "Hey Pet" She blushed at the nickname. "Don't call me that! I'm embarrassed now!" She pouted. I laugh as she lies down next to me. We were just lying there when suddenly....the power went out. Petra yelped and lost control of her breathing as tears welled up in her eyes. Worried, I touch her shoulder but she yelps and starts to cry. "What's the matter Petra? What happened?" I ask softly. She sniffles. "I-I'm scared Gracie." She sqeaks. Then it hit me. She's afraid of the dark. "Sweetheart...why didn't you tell me sooner?" I ask, keeping my voice gentle. "I thought you'd be mad and yell at me.....daddy did when I told him....." My heart ached. I can't stand her being upset. It breaks my heart. "Petra......come here baby girl.....
" i say softly. She slowly crawls over and sqeezes her eyes shut, thinking I would hit her like her father does. But I didn't. I pulled her into a hug and stroked her soft red hair. She was confused. "Why aren't you hurting me? I just said i was scared of the dark." I just rubbed her back gently. "Honey.......I don't wanna hurt you.....I want to make you feel safe and happy...." I say gently. She lays her head on my chest when a load crash of thunder roars. She yelps hides in my chest. "Shhhhhhh sh sh shhhh. Your ok baby bear. Your safe. Just relax. Shhhh." She starts crying as we hear another load thunder clap. "Hey hey it's ok petra its ok. Ive gotcha. Your safe here." She falls asleep in my arms.