CHAPTER TWO

As Jackson strolled down the sidwalk, he reviewed what he had written to Alexis, or Alex,on the note.

Dear Alexis,

I'm sorry about the incident my so-called friend's caused, you should know that I would never hurt you or your friends. I have something to ask you, call me at midnght. 815-957-8703. Then his message alert goes off. His phone reads unknown number, but he could guess who it was. All the text said was, call me Alex. He jumped when he read it, she agreed!,he thought.

At midnight, Jackson's phone rang. "Hello," he said. "Hi," said Alex, "what's up?" He took a breath and said,"will you meet me in the field by the woods," he asked. "Depends on when," she said. "Tonight, right now," he said. There was a pause, then she said, "yes."

Jackson jumped out his low window onto the deck. He began running toward the field, but then a hand cupped over his mouth. The attacker dragged him downward. Small light revealed Neds bruised face. "Dude, why'd you kill Freddy," asked Ned.

"He was going to kill Alex,"

"Yeah, so?"

"She doesn't deserve to die!"

"Niether did he!"

"He was committing murder, HE was in the wrong, not her!"

"Your just saying that because you like her." Jackson got up and brushed off his sweatshirt and jeans and said, you're right, I do," he said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere to go. Ned shrugged, "fine, but so help me Jack, she's as good as dead."

Jackson ran into the field just as Alex arrived, dragging her right leg behind her in a limp. When she looked up at him, he saw a long bruise stretching from her right eye to her jaw. He raced toward her. "What happened," he murmured. She turned away and said, "my father." He turned her head and stroked her jaw, going careful when he came near the bruise. "Why don't you tell your mom." "I did," she said, "she said he's the parent and that I was being rude to say that about him." A tear rolled down her cheek.  "I've never done anything to him either," she said, "all I know is that he hates me, drunk or not." Jackson lifted her head and looked her in the eye. "Hey, hey it's going to be okay," he said. "No it won't," she said. "He will always hate me." Jackson began to get mad at this man for hurting Alex. "I will come to your place and have a good talk with that man." "No, you can't," she said, touching the hand that was on her cheek. "My dad will beat me until I can't see if he sees you." "I'll protect you," he said.  "I'm not afraid for myself I'm afraid for you," she said with some of her old spunk. Suddenly, her bad leg crumbled beneath her and she screamed in pain. Jackson lifted her up and dragged her until he found a large bush. Creating a hole, he crawled underneath and laid her on the grass. "Jackson,  you don't -" "shh," he said,  putting a finger to her lips, "don't talk, just rest." Wrapping his arms around her, he fell asleep.