One

415 words

I sprint through the endless rain, the loud drops mimicking my heartbeat. My arm stings, my legs ache and are cut from the brambles on the ground. I don't look at my shirt, undoubtedly stained red by now, torn and maimed by the things I saw on my way here.

They're back.

Laughing erupts from behind me and I sprint faster, hopping over a bush into a new path. Zora's Domain isn't known for its war troops but it will have to do. Strong wind whips my hair around from behind me and the Yiga banners appear, merging in the shape of a blade master.

In one quick swipe, he sends a gust of wind that knocks me off my feet. I clutch my bleeding arm for a moment before drawing my sword in my opposite hand, my right. I'm not as proficient right-handed, but it's simply a Yiga. 

He cackles maniacally, seeming as crazy as I am for a brief, shining moment, then regains his composure and brings the sword down on my head. The clang of my blade meeting his is loud, louder than the rain or the pounding inside my skull.

I kick him, hard, and he stumbles. Fight or flight kicks in and I concentrate, slowing the rain, slowing my heartbeat, slowing him. 

I slash his mask off, butchering his face, and run. That might not've killed him, who knows? I operate via myself; it wouldn't've killed me, so he could still be alive, conscious even. And he's much faster than I could ever be, even if I were to use my advantage.

The pristine blue of Zora's Domain is a beacon amongst the pouring rain, bringing me slight comfort, if only for a moment before I start thinking too much.

There's so many people

I close my eyes and breathe deeply. I can leave after. I can alert them of the news, of why they need their armies now, and then I can leave. I don't have to see anyone but King Dorephan and perhaps the prince.

That's all. My head quiets down. 

I'm too tired to run and keep my cool right now.

I throw open the throneroom doors with a grunt, interrupting King Dorephan and Prince Sidon in their hushed conversation. Who could be up at this hour except me? They both look at me in alarm and I take a moment to compose myself.

"News," I huff, leaning against the wall. "Bad, terrible, atrocious news."