21

Mia POV 

I grinned at Sirius, as we handed in the potion. I was so glad he told me. Now we have to deal with Lucy, who, thankfully isn’t in this class.

But word travels fast around here, and by lunch, she’ll probably know. Professor Slughorn, congratulated us for finishing early, then told us we could clean up and go. There were still fifteen minutes left until the bell rang. 

I stepped out of the room with Sirius on my trail, bidding a goodbye to the potions teacher. We walked in silence, the only sound the ‘clank’ of my heels hitting the ground.

’You know Mia, I’ve spoken to countless girls in my life, to maintain my stereotypical place in this school. I’ve been able to get with even the toughest girls, but you, you’re different.
I don’t want to do that. I want to know about you, for you to trust me. Because for god sake you do not trust anyone. I know we haven’t known each that long but... I don’t know... it’s complicated... I guess, what I’m trying to say is...
I want to be more than friends. I mean.. only if you want to...’ He trailed off, leaving the Halls dead silent.

I stared at him in shock, as I tried to ignore the fluttering feeling in my stomach, or that my brain was telling me to scream yes. But, after he found out my secret, he would think I was a monster.
I am. I always will be.
I’ve killed people before, in fury and hate. Fellow demigods who chose the wrong path, siding with the wrong team. Who used to be family. The last time I loved someone more than anything, they were taken away from me. I don’t know if I can do that again. 

I mean, what if he gets hurt while I’m fighting? Spells and magic won’t kill a monster. 

Sirius nodded slowly, his face turning sad, the usual glimmer in his eyes gone. 

‘I get it... Don’t worry, I should’ve expected it after what I did to y-‘ 

‘Yes.’ I cut him off, my brain not fully registering what I had just said. My heart had won against my head. 

He lifted his head up, his eyes widening in realisation. He grinned, a grin that sent my heart hammering in my chest, before shouting out his joy. 

He pulled me in for a hug, as he kept shouting in happiness. I grinned. Enjoy it while it lasts, my head was saying. But I ignored it. I really did like Sirius. 

Nearby, a classroom door opened. Grumpy old Professor Hamilton (just you wait..) poked his head out, glaring at us. 

‘Mister Black, Miss Peters, will you quiet down?!’ He whisper-shouted, his face red. We both nodded, as he gave us one last glare, and shut the door quickly. We both laughed quietly, heading to the windows, where you could sit on the ledge. Sirius easily hopped up, but I could not get on it. Sirius laughed at me, smirking. In one quick moment, he grabbed me by the waist, pulling me one his lap. 

I felt my face heat up. Sirius smirked at me. 

‘What’s wrong Mia? Is tough girl not so tough anymore?’ If there one thing you should know about me, it’s that I’m very prideful. My pride matters very much to me.

’N-not at all!’ I stammered, cringing at the sound of my voice. Sirius laughed, throwing his head back. I shuffled next to him, my legs dangling over the ledge.

‘You’re so cute.’ He said, grinning.

-‘Am not.’

-‘Are too!’

-‘No!’

-‘Yes!’

-‘No!’

-‘No!’

-‘Yes!’

Sirius grinned in victory, as I facepalmed at my cliché answer. 

‘What’s your brother like?’ I asked suddenly, as Sirius stopped grinning. 

‘Why?’

’Well you say you hate him, but then you protect him without thinking about it.’

Sirius’ shoulders loosened, as he answered. 

‘Me and Regulus used to be really close, until I was sorted into Gryffindor. I hung with muggle-borns, and Reg’s friends told my mother. I openly stated that I wanted to be a Gryffindor, but Regulus is too scared of being disowned. He’s a coward. That’s why.’

I nodded, letting the words sink in. 

‘What about you? Got any brothers and sisters?’ He asked, looking at me. I grinned, nodding. 

‘One brother and one sister. Jason and Thalia. Well, half-siblings actually, but, that makes no difference to me.’ 

‘How old are they?’ 

‘Same age as me.’ I answered, not thinking about the question at all. Sirius looked at me, confused. 

‘Then why aren’t they at Hogwarts with you?’ He asked, His face scrunched up. I froze. Why didn’t I think of that? 

‘Uh... They still live back in the USA, so they go to a wizarding school there.’ 

He nodded, accepting the answer. 

Then, the bell rang, signalling the end of class. As students poured out of the rooms, I got a lot of glares and whispers. Sirius muttered a ‘Sorry’ to me, a guilty look on his face. I smiled at him, letting him know I was fine. 

‘Hey! Mia!’ 

I looked up as Matt walked over. I jumped off the ledge, running to give him a hug. He grinned, hugging back just as tightly. As we pulled away, I noticed Sirius giving him a glare. He wasn’t jealous was he? I would never get back with Matt, I couldn’t deal with losing him again. 

Matt and Sirius stared at each other, their gazes not wavering from each other’s eyes. Suddenly, they both broke into huge grins, as they bro hugged each other. I watched their interaction, very confused. I will never understand guys. 

I sighed shaking my head as they walked off, in direction of the library. All three of us had a free hour, so I followed them into the dusty room. I found them sat down at a table in the back, whispering to each other, and occasionally laughing. I sat down next to Sirius, who turned his head towards me. Matt did too. 

‘So when did you two become best buddies?’ I asked, raising my eyebrows. They looked at each other, before shrugging. 

‘He’s a cool guy.’ Matt said, earning a fist bump from Sirius. I rolled my eyes. 

‘Wait.’ Sirius said, ‘Isn’t this the Matt guy you said died?’ I gave him a confused look. When did I tell him that? 

‘You said something about some Matt guy at the Halloween party, in the Room of Requirement.’ 

I groaned. I had been drunk. Gods I’m so unreliable when I’m drunk! Matt gave me a ‘What the Hades’ look, before smiling at Sirius.

’Sorry man, as much as you might want me to be, I’m not dead. Or, at least I think I’m not.’ Sirius laughed, nodding. I let out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding and grinned too. 

That was too close.