Chapter 12: An Old Foe

I groaned, getting to my feet, but I had managed to snag the artifact back. My side ached and I felt a little trickle of blood run down my cheek. I glanced behind me, seeing that Arcanine had disappeared into the hedges along with the enemy Pokemon. Turning my gaze back to the black clad opponent, I twirled my knife, settling it in my hand, blade facing behind me.

"Tell me who you are," I commanded. "Why do you need the artifact?"

"Oh come on Zeno," the vaguely feminine robotic voice gave a light chuckle. "We've met before haven't we."

She unclasped the helmet and I took a step back, my eyes widening. "You!? But- there's no way-!?"

"Yes," she said, giving a smile. "Now, Zeno, I think it's time you gave that back to me."

I held the artifact away from her with my left hand, raising my knife with my right. "Not gonna happen. Not in a million years."

Her eyes narrowed. "Then you'll have to be removed from the equation all together."

She dashed forwards, knife swinging. I gave a yell and charged, my knife swishing through the air, and an explosion rang out through the night air.

...

Earlier.

"Ugh," I fingered my tight collar. "This is so not enjoyable."

Princess Allie clung to my arm. "Oh, but you're so handsome husband dear."

She chuckled and I felt a pang of irritation. "We're not married!"

"Oh, dear," she chuckled again. "Don't worry. I'll be sure to remedy that tomorrow."

I sighed. There was no reasoning with this woman. We were in the Ball Room, couples in fancy dresses and suits milling about. Tables had been set up with fancy foods and wines. Around the room, glass cases had been propped up, including what I had been told was the artifact. It was obviously the main attraction of tonight. It looked to be a broken bit of antlers, with a faded blue point coming off the side.

"Isn't it gorgeous," Princess Allie breathed, catching me staring at it. "I think it would look beautiful hanging above my bed."

"Isn't it a priceless artifact from the legends of Kalos?" I asked, already having given up trying to get her off my arm. "Wouldn't you rather preserve it in a museum or something?"

She giggled. "How silly. Whatever the Parfums buy, the Parfums keep."

"I think you meant to say want," I thought, but didn't voice that opinion out loud. Instead, I asked a question. "Those statues I've been seeing. What's their purpose?"

"Hmm?" Allie followed my gaze, which rested on the huge statue of Bisharp, on one end of the room. From what I had seen, there were scattered statues of Pawniards around the whole palace.

"Oh, those," she smiled. "300 years ago, there was a war between regions. However, most of the conflict was between us and Galar. Bisharp was one of the most famous generals in that war, leading an army of Pawniards into battle."

"I think I get it," I nodded slowly. "This place is kinda like a museum already."

I looked around. "So what are we supposed to be doing anyway? Everyone is just talking around and looking."

Allie smiled, which was almost chilling. "Well, I'd say if we started dancing, others might as well."

Before I could protest, she had me in dancing position, my arm around her waist. She led the way, taking the stage. I heard slow violin music start up somewhere. I could feel the gaze of everyone in the room settle on us and I figured I'd better take the lead now. With no other option then forwards, I slowly spun us in a circle, taking Allie with me. She raised an eyebrow and smirked. After a minute of having to endure this, others started dancing as well in time with the music.