Part Four

Ian's POV

"Ian. I do not expect this behaviour from anyone. Let alone on anyone's first day" Mr Johnson says as he scribbles something down onto a piece of paper.

"But..."

"No buts."

"Sorry Sir" I look down at my lap. It's really weird to be in trouble on my first day..

"And Sian. Your past is no excuse for this behaviour. It is just unacceptable" he says to Sian.

"Sir, Miss Rose is a liar! She over exaggerates"

"NO! Don't do this Sian. Now, both go and I don't want any more trouble from either of you" He points to the door.

We both stand and Sian leads me out of the room, an annoyed look on her face. As i close the door behind me i look at her. She looks as though she's thinking or remembering something.

"Sian? What happened? I mean about what SIr said" I ask her.

"Nothing" She replies, shaking her head.

"Come on. You can trust me" I say.

"My mum's an alcoholic. One night, i came home from school and we started arguing. She hit me so i asked if i could stay here" She explains.

"I'm sorry" Is all i say. It must have been horrible for her. To be hit by your own mom. I've never been hit by my parents and they only drink on nights off work or special meals and occasions.

"Don't be" she smiles a little as we start off down the corridor.

I look up to see Adam. A smile crosses my face. He's in a happy mood, i can tell by the way he's walking.

"Hey Adam!" I call over to him.

"Hi Ian! You'll never guess what" Adam replies. I knew it.

"What? What?" I ask.

"It's official. Me and Alice are together!" he does a little victory dance.

"Aww! Congrats man" I say , as though i was really happy for him. In truth, i am but it's like a punch in my face when he's already got a girlfriend and I'm trying to figure out Sian still.

"Thanks" he changes topic. "Are you coming down for something to eat?"

"Sure. We'll be a second" Sian says before i have chance to open my mouth.

"Ok" Adam replies and winks at me before leaving. Surely he doesn't think she'll say she likes me. She said she has to be careful and that wouldn't be careful at all.

"Ian. About what i told you about my mum"

"Yeah..."

"Please don't tell anyone. Isabelle doesn't know and she's my best friend" She asks. Wow! She actually trusts me with a secret she hasn't even told her closest friend.

"I promise" I touch her cheeks gently. "Come on. I'm hungry" I say, really hoping she doesn't say anything about before. I don't know why i told her that i like her. It was pretty reckless and stupid of me to say. I should of got to know her before telling her.

 As we arrive at the table, i see that Xander, Isabelle, Adam and Alice had saved tweo spaces for us. Awkwardly next to each other, we sit down.

"Congratulations Alice. You and Adam are so sweet together" Sian says, smiling through gritted teeth.

"Thank you." Alice replies. "Hey. Sian. You and Ian suit"

"What? Really?" i splutter out before realising what the statement might sound like in Sian's mind.

"We do not!" Sian retorts.

"You do! You two should like totally date" Adam says dreamily.

"No we shouldn't, Adam!" Sian says. it might be only me who has noticed Sian getting angrier and angrier.

"Don't speak like that to him!" Alice says pointedly at Sian.

"Don't you remember what i told you? It's just... no" Sian clenches one of her fists at her side. I can sense her body tensing up.

Alice seems to realise almost instantly. "I'm so sorry! I honestly forgot, Sian"

"Of course you did. Are you sure you aren't blond?" She disregards Alice's apology.

"SIan? What's the matter?" I ask her softly.

"Nothing is the matter, Ian." She pushes away her plate. "I'm not very hungry"

 She stands up and walks out of the room and up the stairs. I look around to see everyone on the table in a state of shock.

"What the hell..." Alexander breaks the silence.

I look down at my lap again before speaking. "I told her that i liked her but she said that she couldn't let anyone into her life anymore. That she had made that mistake once too many times. What did she mean?"

"She didn't want us telling anyone, Ian. Sorry but we have to keep that promise" Alexander replies.

 We eat the rest of the food in silence.

   I shut the door behind me. My suitcases and bags carefully stacked on the floor. The room is practically a square. In one corner is my bed. Next to that the window and then a little sink. In the opposite corner from the bed is a wardrobe and a few shelves. It's cosy.

 Suddenly, a knock comes to my door. It's probably Adam but to be honest, he is starting to annoy me. Constantly going on about Alice or completely blanking ,me to talk to Alice. i thought we were meant to be best friends. I open the door to find Isabelle.

"Isabelle?" I ask puzzled.

"I have to be quick but if you really want to know why Sian is like this..." She says.

"I do" I say rather quickly.

"Last year, she was dating this lad named Joshua. She was walking in the woods when she saw them. Josh was snogging another girl. She walked up to him and confronted him. He got mad and started to come closer to her, shouting in her face. She backed off and slipped of the bank and into the lake. She couldn't get out and Joshua refused to help her and eventually the girl had to save her. She had gone completely under and he still didn't help her"

I am literally in shock. "Oh my gosh! That's disgusting! Who would do that? But i wouldn't do that to her."

"You need to make her trust boys again. She only trusts Xander because they have known each other for so long. The more you try, the more likely she is to start to trust you and other boys again" Isabelle explains.

"Ok. Night" i nod at her slight orders.

"Good night Ian" She says before hurrying off down the corridor.

No wonder Sian is like this. And it's my job to change it.