iv. ELI'S HAT COLLECTION

ACT: ONE
CHAPTER iv: ' eli's hat collection. '

           Stepping out of her room, Eli smiled to herself as she descended the stairs in her light pink, floral dress and white cardigan

Stepping out of her room, Eli smiled to herself as she descended the stairs in her light pink, floral dress and white cardigan. Hearing the sharp beep of a car outside, she poked her head in the living room to shout a quick goodbye to her family before she grabbed her purse and was out the door before they had the chance to reply.

Outside in the car awaited two finely dressed women who both wore hats that matched Eli's in different colours. Ada wore the red, Pol dressed all in emerald and Eli in pink. Their silk, lace and cotton dresses made by the very woman who eagerly joined them in the car.

"Good afternoon, Eli." Polly greeted first.

"Gosh, I love your dress." Ada smiled, catching sight of the beautiful floral print dress as the blonde climbed inside after one of the 'chauffeurs' (or more accurately, 'one of the blinders dressed up in a fancy suit') opened the door for her.

"Afternoon Polly. Thank you, Ada. You're looking quite well yourself, love." Eli flashed them both a wide grin. As the door closed behind her, she wasted no time in pulling her cigarette tin out of her purse and sticking one between her lips to free her hands to light a match. She waited until the end was successfully lit before taking a long drag and inhaling the strong nicotine. "Did you enjoy your birthday last week?"

A devilish smile graced Ada's lips in response, thinking back to what Freddie and her had got up to in the dark. "I did."

Polly snorted as she brought her classy cigarette holder up to her lips. "She didn't enjoy it the day after. She looked the image of death and was emptying her guts up left, right and centre."

A light chuckle left Eli's throat as she turned back to the youngest of the trio, the latter of whom turned her nose up at the reminder of the severe hangover she'd suffered following her birthday. "Do you even remember me bringing you home?" Eli asked, though she suspected she already knew the answer.

"Vaguely," the Shelby shrugged, casting her gaze out the window as they drove through the greying city and out to the countryside. "Are you betting today, Aunt Pol?"

"I think I will." Polly replied, smoke rolling past her painted lips as she arched her eyebrows. "I might as well get something out of today, I'm not letting the boys have all the fun."

Eli hummed in agreement before piping up, "Where are the famous Shelby boys?"

"They're running a little behind," Ada rolled her eyes. "Said they had some business to take care off before they join us. They're going in Tommy's car."