Chapter 1 -

The noise pierced her ears like a knife in the stomach it forced her awake

The noise pierced her ears like a knife in the stomach it forced her awake. Eliza lifted her head in search of the source, it was her alarm buzzing against her wooden nightstand.

Encased in a cloud of warm feathers, she groaned under the comforter. Eliza reached for her phone, it kept evading her grasp until her fingertips grazed the screen and it dropped on to the linoleum floor.

"Fuck," the crack sounded expensive.

She grumbled but anger evaporated after a moment. She lowered off the raised bed reaching for the device.

When she flipped over the phone her eyes widened when he saw the time.

"No, no, no" she panicked, Eliza whipped the thick blanket from her legs and rushed to the bathroom. She turned on the facet, filled her palms with water and thrust it upon her olive brown skin. The icy chill relieved her from grogginess. With several twists of her wrist, the water came to a stop. She looked into the mirror that stretched across her the small bathroom. Leaning forward she examined her face.

Her cheeks and nose sprinkled with tiny brown freckles hardly noticeable, but she noticed. A separate alarm sounded, it made her jump, she rushed to freshen up for the day ahead.

Eliza hurried along the crosswalk. The city thrived with liveliness despite it being early hours of the day.

Expensive vehicles maneuvered through the white and yellow lines on the bustling streets. Business professionals painted the sidewalks neutral colors with their attire.

Her navy knee-length peacoat billowed behind. Her long curls, brown as cinnamon, tamed into a slick wavy bun. She rushed across with the wind slapping against her skin and her glasses absorbing the cold.

Her destination was within reach, the glass skyscraper towered over the rest. The windows glimmered in the tangerine sunlight hovering over the horizon.

"Hold the door please" Eliza shouted to a crowded elevator. Not a single person budged at her request. She broke into a light jog. The doors moved at the pace of a snail slowly closing in around a group of strangers. The least they could do is pretend they didn't see her. Nope, not these guys they watched as her flats clapped against the shiny hard floor.

Her eyes narrowed. It was a tight fit but she managed to shove her wrist between the metallic doors. They jerked back open. She stepped forward. Their eyes fell upon her searing through the back of her neck.

Her heart was beating through the layers of her clothes. Her chest heaved up and down trying to disguise her shortness of breath.

She stepped off the top floor. Eliza looked at the time again and a small sigh escaped her lips. After adjusting her coat she scanned her ID badge and entered the workspace. She walked toward his cubicle, when she arrived she noticed the entire place typically full of computer taps and phone conversations, was vacant.