One.

-

"What's this one mean?" He asked as he traced the letter "A" tattooed on her forefinger.

"That you can always start again," she replied pulling her hands away and clasping them together.

"Like the alphabet, "A" is the beginning," he sated staring into her hollow brown eyes.

"Exactly," she agreed with a small smile on her face.

-

It was November, and fall was ending as winter pulled in. Davie sat solemnly in her room watching the leaves fall in through her open window. "Shut that window!" Her mom hollered, "You'll catch a fever."

Davie walked over and slammed the window shut, trapping a bright red leaf in between it. Davie laughed to herself, feeling as if the leaf symbolized her. She was trapped between her present and her past. Just earlier, her ex Calum had called and wanted to get back together. She agreed because no one wants to be lonely, right?

Now Calum was a cool guy, creative, attractive, funny, the one guy everyone wishes to have, the guy to host all the parties, but Calum was down right mean. Davie was all dressed for their reunion date, in a purple knit sweater and black jeans. Calum picked her up and pointed out how the sweater gave her lumps, and how her jeans made her look a little too porky. Davie didn't mind, she knew Calum meant well, he just wasn't good with conversational affection.

Finally, one night Calum took it too far. This time Davie was fat. Her hair was gross. She looked ugly today. Davie gathered her nerve and left him in the dust. She went straight to the tattoo parlor down the street and had a jet black letter "A" inked onto her pointer finger. Reminding her it's okay to start again, begin something new.