cнapтer 3

Annabeth, Derek and I left early the next morning for the town. I poured just a fraction of me feelings out to my betrothed, and he showed me compassion. Maybe he does not hate me after all. For the first time in weeks, I am not dressed in my mourning clothes. Mum allowed me to dress in color. I do miss my papa, very much so. I regret being so far from home when the fever took him, but what was I to do? My parents needed the money.

In my family, there are six living siblings and three children that have passed away. The first born, Jack, died a week after his birth. He was too early. My beloved sister, Odette, died when she was nine. She saved my life when she deserved to live. I am the eldest living at eighteen years old. The third sibling of mine to pass was my brother, Matthew. He died from tuberculosis. Mum never forgave herself for his death. John is the second oldest at fifteen years old, then Aiden and Alastar at ten. Margaret, or Miguinty, is seven, with Bridie at four. Keegan is just over a year and a half, me mum's baby boy.

I remember bits and pieces of my childhood at Avebury Manor. I had a bad accident when I was young, around the time Matthew passed away. All my life I have suffered from a shortness of breath with the seasons and strenuous activities. My mother cures it with the Spanish chocolate; she says that it will help. My close friends, my brother and I went swimming in the brook behind our house. Mum and Papa were not home that day and neither were the twins and Miguinty. I had a spell about waist deep into the water and I did not make it to land. My friend, my first kiss (on the cheek), Adam, saved me at the cost of his own life. Stupid boy did not know how to swim and yet he would risk his life for another. I wonder if Derek would ever do that for me.

"Miss Imogen," Derek called, moving his head closer to mine. "Are you alright?"

"Hmm? Oh yes, I'm fine." I spoke to him softly. I felt like the biggest outsider in this city. I hated my accent in this city. I hated my hair, my freckles, and my paleness. I was an abnormality in this city of elegance. Derek made a face at my answer; he did not believe me.

"Alright." He muttered. Annabeth was ahead of us, window-shopping for wedding and ball gowns. Apparently, before our wedding, I am to have a ball to introduce myself into society. I've never been to a ball, let alone have one in my honor. I did not like to be the center of attention. Every fiber in my being is screaming for me to slink away to the carriage and wait for Derek and his sister to finish their outing.

"Oh, Miss Imogen, would this not look spectacular on you?" Annabeth called, pointing to an extravagant ball gown in a shop window. I bit my lip as I moved away from Derek.

"I do not think this dress suits my style, Lady Annabeth. It is too... loud." I mumbled. Derek moved to stand beside me and he hummed in disapproval.

"I think you would look stunning, Miss Imogen." Derek said, placing his hand on the small of my back. I bit the inside of my cheek as tingles moved up my back. If only he knew what his touch did to me.

"I am not interested in being stunning, Lord Derek." I replied softly. "I have no intention of being the center of attention."

"Will you at least humor your dear sister by trying it on? We don't have to buy it." Annabeth said, grabbing my hand. She dragged me into the store and asked the shop owner if we could try on the dress in the window. He happily obliged. The dress was a monstrosity, to put it plainly. When they put it on me, it felt like a ton. The waist was too constricting and the colors were just god awful.

"Oh, she looks like a porcelain doll!" Annabeth cooed. My face was twisted into a grimace. I was uncomfortable. Derek wore a frown upon his beautiful face once again.

"Well, brother, what do you think?" Annabeth asked Derek.

"She is uncomfortable. Take it off, we won't be buying it." Derek ordered and I sighed in relief.