5. Eclairs

Theo stood in the middle of the Bakery for a moment, collecting himself while Bea settled Biscuit out front, tying his leash to the front door where she could keep an eye on him. She left him with a bone from her bag and he was content to lay down and chew on it while Bea came inside.

"Sorry about that," she smoothed out her skirt. "I wasn't planning on job hunting, I was just out walking Biscuit when I saw it."

"No trouble at all," Theo said. "Please, have a seat. I'd love to hear a little more about your baking experience. When did you start baking?"

She gave Theo a nervous smile and sat down, smoothing out her skirt. "Well, My grandfather taught me to bake. His grandparents had a bakery and even started a little school in the back of it before they had to close down. So I guess you could say the passion for it runs in my blood."

"Passion is a must when it comes to baking." Theo nodded. "So, have you worked as a baker professionally before?"

"Ah..." Bea blushed and played with a bracelet absently. "I guess I haven't. I mean, I haven't gotten paid to do it, but I do have experience in a professional kitchen, if that helps. And I know I can make the quantities to support a small bakery like this. I've done that much before for a charity dinner that my parents put on."

Theo gave her a small smile, remembering the pompous chefs that had applied before her. "Unpaid experience is still experience, my dear. Sometimes seasoned veterans in a field are... worse."

Bea smiled back at him, tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "I could always give you a demonstration to prove my skills."

"Let's go ahead and finish tonight's interview, but I believe I would like that. Would you like to come in tomorrow night to try it?" Theo asked.

"I could come in earlier than that," Bea said. "I don't have anything to do tomorrow morning if that works for you."

"I'm afraid it doesn't," Theo said. "You see, I have xeroderma pigmentosum, an extreme sensitivity to sunlight. I sleep during the day because of it. This bakery will open at sunset and stay open until midnight or so. I hope that doesn't make you change your mind about it."

"No, not at all!" Bea said. "In fact, that works well for me. I was supposed to start school this fall and was just debating on whether I wanted to do that or to find a job to have experience in my interests for a year first."

"Are you thinking of doing both then?" Theo asked. "Working at the bakery at night and going to school during the day."

"I'd like that," Bea answered. "I'm certain I can balance both."

"So, if I may ask, how old are you? I didn't expect you to be a teenager trotting off to university. You seem more independent than that."

"Oh," Bea squirmed in her chair. "That was part of a deal I made with my parents. They wanted me to get a degree that could help the family business, not go off to culinary school. I had to finish a degree to make them happy, and now I have three years to do what I want before I start helping Dad with the business. I'm actually twenty three."

"Difficult parents, I can relate. Well then, Bea, let's continue and I'll stop prying into your personal life. So, what is your favorite pastry?"

Beatrice gave a soft smile, and Theo paused to watch her. It was a warm sight, and her face lit up as she looked into the empty space between them at something he couldn't see.

Thump.

Theo frowned. What was that? Did his heart try to... beat?

"Eclairs," Bea answered.

Theo composed himself, rubbing lightly on his chest over where his heart sat, still as usual. "Eclairs? Yes, those are fun to eat. Any particular reason?"

Bea nodded. "Those were the first thing I made with my grandpa. I love making them and eating them, it reminds me of a childhood spent in his kitchen."

Theo couldn't stop himself from giving her a lopsided grin. "That's a lovely memory, I'm glad you have it. Beatrice, I've heard enough. Can you come in tomorrow at about this time to give me a little baking demonstration?"

Her face lit up and she clapped her hands together. "Really? Yes! I'd love to. I'll make you anything you want."

"Let's start with three things. Your three favorite things to bake, how does that sound?" Theo couldn't stop himself from getting excited. Bea's energy was quite contagious.

"I can do that, I'll even leave Biscuit at home this time." She bit her lower lip, thinking and looking out the window. "Alright, I've got it. I'll need an hour and a half to do them all. Should I bring the ingredients?"

"No, no," Theo waved a hand. "What kind of bakery would this be if we didn't have supplies? Here, let me give you my number. You can text me a list and I'll ensure we have everything before you get here."

"Thank you," Bea beamed. "I promise to do my best."

Theo gave her a soft smile. She was polite, and happy, and she had a calm way about her. It reminded him of someone, but he couldn't remember who. Then again, he had nearly two hundred years of memories, so it wasn't surprising.

"I'll have a couple people with me tomorrow so we can have a few taste-testers. Another bakery employee and an... associate of mine who can help make a decision. No chefs, don't worry. Here at Danton Bakery, I want food that makes regular people happy. We aren't here to eat charcoal or whatever other nonsense they do these days."

Bea stood from her seat, letting her hair fall in her face to hide a smile. She scooted the chair in and tried smoothing out her skirt with one hand. "I had better finish Biscuit's walk, he's almost done with that bone."

Theo glanced out his front door at the corgi who had already snapped his treat in half and had nearly devoured one of the pieces. "Have a safe walk home."

"Thank you, Mr. Danton. I'll see you tomorrow." She grinned.

The street lights behind her cast a glow in her hair as she turned to leave. Theo sighed as he watched the woman walk to the front doors, and he found himself reaching out to her.

"Wait!" he said.

Bea stopped, her hair and skirt moving as she turned to see what he wanted. What had he wanted? It was like his hand moved on it's own, his voice was the one that spoke but it wasn't Theo who spoke it. For someone nearly two hundred years old, he was normally much more in control of himself than this.

"I.. I just wanted you to um. To know you can call me Theo," he mumbled. If he had any blood in his system, he would have been blushing.

Bea smiled, her eyes shining as she nodded. "Good night, Theo. I'll see you tomorrow."

And then Beatrice turned and walked out the door. Theo watched her untie Biscuit, and go back down the sidewalk the way they had come.

He sighed, sliding down his seat. She was perfect. She liked the right kind of pastries for the shop, she wasn't demanding or fussy, and she seemed like a diligent worker.

But what was this business with his heart? Theo placed a hand over his chest, frowning. He must have gotten excited to have finally found a baker. Yes, that was it. He was just excited. Something he hadn't felt in a very long time.

He pulled out his phone and began to dial Mason back. He promised Bea a panel of taste-testers. Now he had to get them.

The Danton Bakery was well on it's way to opening, and Theo couldn't be more pleased.