Chapter fourty: Ashton

It was around one in the morning when a knock on the door woke me from my sleep. At first, I thought it was Luke arriving from the party, drunk but it turned out it was not. My mother had woken up and answered the door since the knocking was not stopping. She usually never answer the door at this time of the night because you never know who can be knocking at your door on a Friday night- early Saturday morning - in London. You always have to be careful. 

I sat up on my bed, trying to make out the voices but my mind was still half asleep. I rubbed my eyes and got up, curiously making my way to the door. I frowned, seeing a policeman standing in our doorway. From what I could see, the man was explaining something to my mother. Her hand was over her mouth, probably shocked by the man's words.

''Mum? Is everything okay?'' I asked her from where I was standing, worried.

''Thank you sir, I'll be on my way and make sure to call his parents,'' she said

''Have a good night, Mrs Irwin,'' said the man before leaving.

''Mum?'' I repeated. ''What did this policeman want?''

She turned to me and gave me a sympathetic look. ''I-I have to tell you something, Sweetie,'' she said, a pained look on her face. ''Luke is at the hospital, he got into an accident.''

  I wasted no time and quickly got dressed, I can't present myself at the hospital in my Spider-man pajamas.. I threw on whatever clothing was under my reach, grabbed my shoes and I was out of the door, not waiting for my mother. 

I ran trough the busy streets of London, wanting to get to the hospital as soon as possible. I ran into a couple person on my way, muttering faint apologies to them as I continued my journey. I have to see him. 

I didn't let my mum enough time to explain what happened but I'm sure the doctors or even a nurse will be kind enough to explain everything to me. When I heard the news slipping from her mouth, all I thought was 'I have to see him.' 'I have to see if he is okay or will be.' So I ran. 

When I passed the automatic doors of the hospital, I went straight to the receptionins's office who was straight in front of me.

''Can I please have the number of Luke Hemmings's room?'' I asked her, trying to regain my breathing to normal. 

She looked trough her computer and gave me a sadistic look. ''I'm sorry, young man but he is in surgery,'' she explained. ''Who are you? Are you his brother?'' she asked.

I shook my head. ''No.''

''In this case, I'm afraid you won't be able to see him soon. We haven't been able to reach his parents yet. No visits are allowed till then, it's the rule.'' 

Stupid rule, I thoughts to myself. 

Luke is in surgery. He must be very injured if he's in there... I hope he's gonna be fine. He has to.

  After hours of waiting in the waiting room, earning glares, weird and annoyed looks by a couple people, a nurse approached me. I'm sorry if I'm not properly dressed - I'm wearing dark grey sweatpants, a holey tee shirt (that must me Luke's) and a black hoodie. My hair must be a curly mess because I didn't tried to tame them or even take a look in a mirror before sprinting here.

''You can go,'' said a kind the nurse, telling me the number of Luke's room. ''None of us is able to join his parents for the moment but you two seemed quite close, seeing you probably ran here when you heard the bad news.'' I thanked her and got up, making my way to the said room number.