5

Hero hasn't spoken to me since the night in the hallway, even though it felt like I had seen him a million times after we shared the small kiss.

English literature for the past two weeks consisted of sneaking glances at him while he returned none. Maybe it was just a kiss to him, people can be casual about small acts of affection like that. But the idea didn't sit right with me.

I had no real reasoning as to why I wanted it to be so much more than that simple kiss. Maybe he hadn't even thought about it after.

But then again maybe it was because he just didn't like me. And I needed to somewhat be okay with that. I tried distracting myself with texting Alexis, but her responses were short and cold. The only other friends I had were here, all hanging out with Hero. That just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

Christmas break was approaching faster than I was hoping and with Alexis basically cutting herself off from our friendship, I didn't know where I would go for the break. It's not like I had to go anywhere, but staying in the empty dorm hall would surely suck the life out of Christmas for me.

Going home to see my mom would never be an option. And if it were, getting hit on by her drunk boyfriend was almost unavoidable. I sighed thinking about the reality of actually having to spend Christmas alone.

Sam would offer for me to come home with him again and his mom would tell me what color she'd want our nursery for our imaginary children to be. I don't think I could handle that again either.

The four knocks on my door brought me back to reality. I was relieved to see Sam and Shane on the other side, but quickly panicked as Hero wandered in behind the two of them.

I was only in my yoga pants and one of Sam's old t-shirt's that had gotten misplaced in all the trauma induced sleepovers from last year. I shut the door quietly and turned back to the boys standing in front of me.

"Will you come with us tonight?" Sam asked.

I crossed my arms over my chest, "Where?"

"We're just gonna go eat and sing some karaoke at the pool hall downtown." Shane informed me and I nodded.

"I think I'll pass." Chuckling under my breath and heading back for my bed.

Sam wrapped an arm around my waist and spun me back around to face them.

"Come on, you can't stay holed up in this room forever."

I glanced over at Hero who was staring right back at me, waiting for an answer to Sam's remark.

"Maybe she's already got plans with someone." He cut his eyes slightly as the words fell from his lips.

Anger began to boil inside of me. He was playing games, teasing me about Max. Because he was a dumb boy, he was no different from them. I narrowed my eyes at him and practically dared him to go on with the look on my face.

"Like who?" Sam asked, genuinely curious.

"I've seen her a few times with a guy. Blue eyes, sort of tall."

Sam looked directly at me and I could feel the lump creeping up my throat. If Sam found out that I had been even thinking of speaking to Max, let alone what Hero had been keeping from him, I'm sure he would be more than disappointed. Would he even still want to be my friend?

"Oh, you're talking about Dylan." Shane interrupted the intense silence that loomed over us.

I broke away from Hero's stare to thank Shane with my eyes. I know he knew where Hero's insinuation was headed.