Chapter 9

Clary took another sip of her lemon tea, her eyes scanning the room once more. There were rows and rows of thick, leather bound books on one wall - all without a title but each stamped with a single rune in silver. The entire room seemed to be made of dark oak and leather.

Shadowhunters seem to love their leather, she thought to herself. Just then, there was a commotion outside of the door and she could hear footsteps and see shadows through the crack underneath.

"Where is she?" said a muffled voice.

"In here."

She straightened nervously as the door flew open. "Jace," she breathed, relieved, and stood up. He walked straight to her and engulfed her in his arms, burying his face in her hair.

"Oh God," he murmured into her neck. "I was so worried. Thank God."

"I'm okay," she said softly, pulling back to smile at him. He took her face in his hands and kissed her lips, her cheeks, her nose, her forehead. At this, she laughed. "Happy to see me?"

"Always, always."

"I found her wandering around the streets of Alicante," said a female voice by the door. They both shifted their attention to the woman observing them curiously. She was beautiful, with pitch black hair smoothed up in a high ponytail, revealing a small face with dark eyes and full lips.

"So you've met Aline," said Jace, turning to Clary.

Clary nodded. "She's been very kind to me."

"After the initial shock wore off," Aline added, glancing at Alec beside her.

He sighed. "You're telling me." Closing his eyes, he pinched the bridge of his nose and took a deep breath. He seemed to be in an internal battle with his thoughts. After a moment, he opened his eyes and settled them on Clary. "How are you feeling?"

"Um... a little overwhelmed, to be honest," she replied.

"I can understand," Alec nodded. There was a few seconds of silence before he spoke again. "Well, we can't take you home. I just don't think it's safe until we figure all of this out. The Institute is..." he trailed off. "I think you're safest here, for now, until we figure out a game plan."

Clary nodded. "Thank you," she whispered, looking up at Jace who gave her a reassuring smile.

"I'll get a room set up," Aline spoke. "And we're about the same size, so I'll bring down some clothes." With a nod and a final concerned look at Clary, she left the room.

Jace turned to Clary and gave her a small smile. "Welcome to Idris, my home."

-

After a quick dinner of beef stew and a refreshing shower, Clary changed into a robe that Aline had brought down for her.

The room she was staying in was beautiful with a king sized bed of carved wood and the softest pillows she'd ever felt. Large french doors decorated with soft white curtains led to a balcony overlooking the city. She stepped out into the fresh night air, breathing it in and closing her eyes for a moment.

When she opened them, she fixed her gaze up to the stars, lost in thought of how she felt so far away from home... yet the stars still looked the same and the only familiar and constant thing she could hold on to.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

It was Jace. She turned to look at him. He'd just taken a shower too and changed into a pair of sweats and a white tee, his blue and hazel eyes bright and piercing.

"Just that... I'm glad you're here with me," she said softly, tilting her head back on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her from behind.

He pressed his cheek softly against hers. "Well, it helps that my parabatai is the Consul and that I'm a Herondale," he laughed. "Besides, there was no way I was going back to the Institute while you're here. I need to keep you safe."

She smiled. "You always say that."

"I can't believe you're here," he murmured, placing a kiss on her neck that sent electric shivers down her spine. What he could do to her... "After everything."

"Jace... what do you think is going to happen?"

He sighed. "To be honest, I don't know. Like I said, the Shadow world can be harsh and unforgiving."

Suddenly, she turned around, catching him off guard. "Whatever it is, whatever we face, I want to fight... for this... for us."

His eyes lit up so brightly at her words that they could've pierced right through the night sky. He pressed his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. "You know that I'll do the same. I'll do anything for you, Clary."

She placed a gentle hand against his cheek. "Jace I... I've never felt anything more real. It's like I've been through this fog and I don't even know who I am in all of this, but with you... everything makes sense."

"I know how you feel," he whispered. "I feel the same way." When he pulled back, his eyes were filled with tears. "I missed you for a whole year, Clary. I was in pain."

Her face softened and she leaned up to kiss him. He responded, caressing his tongue against hers. Desire took over. "Then let's make up for lost time, shall we?"

At this, he smirked. "Gladly," he murmured huskily and picked her up, wrapping her legs around him.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, laughing as he led them inside, kicking the french doors shut behind them.

He placed her onto the bed and untied her robe, revealing... nothing. His jaw dropped. "Oh..." he moaned, quickly shedding his shirt to reveal rock hard abs. She bit her lip and traced his muscles with her fingers, making the hair on his body stand up.

He reached into his pocket before stepping out of his sweats and underwear, revealing his manhood and - his stele?

"What are you...?" she giggled as he hovered the metal across a rune on his rib.

"Making up for lost time.. Stamina rune." He grinned, suddenly flipping her over onto her hands and knees and making her cry out in surprise as he entered her.

A cry of pleasure echoed through the room and the walls took in every moan, scream, and thrust as their passionate love making lasted into the night.