Part 5

Charmy and Espio had been wandering around for, what felt, hours. However, no one seemed to know anything about Vector, no one had seen him, some people haven't even heard of him. So most conversation would just end in:
"Oh well... I hope you find him."
The lack of any progress made Espio more and more impatient. He just wanted to find Vector and have this be over with, he wanted to stop having to worry about him. His frustration was extremely noticeable, that Charmy, who would usually be blissfully oblivious to everything around him, was starting to catch on that Espio was acting strange. Of course, Charmy was also curious about Vector's disappearance, but Espio said that he would be fine, so why should he be worrying?

As the two Chaotix were walking along some alley they heard a faint noise, it sounded suspicious, and somewhat familiar.
"Charmy, stay behind me," Espio ordered quietly, pulling out his kunai, "we don't know who's in there."
Charmy didn't hesitate and followed behind him as Espio walked into the alley. The sound was getting gradually louder, like it was approaching them. However they couldn't see whoever was making the noise.
"Show yourself!"
"Um... Espio, you're facing the wrong direction" Charmy said as he tapped the chameleon on the shoulder and tilted his head upwards.

Espio saw a bright green duck slid down the wall and landed right in front of them.
"Oh, it's just you." Espio muttered.
Bean looked at the two, he seemed to recognise Espio almost immediately and smiled.
"Well, well, well, look at who we have here." the duck said cheerfully, "I haven't seen you since Empire City, what's your name again? Emily?"
Espio felt his body change slightly pinker in embarrassment as he remembered his last encounter with Bean vividly, needless to say he wasn't happy to see him of all people.
"Where's your partner, Bean?" Espio snarled, as he noticed the large polar bear, Bark, who followed Bean like his shadow was nowhere to be seen.

Almost right on cue, Bark clumsily climbed down from the roof of one of the buildings next to Bean as he silently stared daggers at the two.
"Uh, I think the better question is... where is your's?" Bean asked smugly.
"Where are these guys coming from?" Charmy mumbled, looking up at the sky.
"There's no reason to waste anymore time here, lets go, Charmy." Espio sighed, putting away his kunai, turning his back on them and started walking away. However, Charmy has other plans.
"Hey, have either of you guys seen Vector?" Charmy asked.
"You mean the crocodile DJ dude?" Bean pondered what Charmy has asked him in an exaggerated manner, trying to grab Espio's attention, "yeah, we have seen him earlier."

Espio turned around abruptly. "You have?"
"Yeah. Why? You looking for him?" Bean smirked a little, he could hear the desperation from Espio's voice and already knew.
"Yes. We are. Where have you seen him?"
"Hm... I don't think I'll tell you," Bean said, turning the opposite direction, "come on Bark, there's no reason to waste anymore time here- woah!"
Bean swiftly dodged Espio's kunai, Bean freaked out and fled, leaving Bark by himself.
"Charmy, wait here, you're not gonna be able to keep up."
"But-"
Before Charmy could finish his sentence, Espio sped off into the alley after Bean, leaving Charmy alone with Bark.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It didn't take long for Bean to reach a dead end. However, when he turned around, he couldn't see Espio following him. Bean stopped to get his breath back.
"Boo."
Bean jumped, turned around and saw Espio become visible right before him.
"Wowie! I totally forgot that you could do that."
"You know, as fun as this is," Espio said dryly, "may we stop this pointless game? Even if I don't want to, I'm not afraid to hurt you, if that's what it takes to get what I need."
"Eh, I'm not really done just yet," Bean threw a bomb at the wall and jumped over the rubble after the blast, "catch me if you can!"
Espio paused and inhaled deeply and exhaled again. "Don't let him get into your head, again." he muttered to himself as he started to give chase again.

Only seconds later did Bean see the chameleon catching up to him once again.
"You don't mess around, do you?" Bean teased. He summoned yet another bomb and let it blow up under his feet, allowing him to gain upwards momentum and to grab onto the roof of one of the buildings and climb on top. Bean poked his head out and looked down, he then saw Espio scaling the wall without any issue.
"Aw come on! You're cheating!" Bean whined.
"You're just a sore loser." Espio countered as he made his way up to the top.
However, Bean wasn't ready to admit defeat and tried to pry Espio off the wall by forcing his foot on Espio's head and pushing down.
"How is that not considered cheating?" Espio grunted as he felt his knees scratch against the wall as he was being forcefully shoved down.

Espio took one hand off the wall and grabbed Bean by the ankle that was stomping in his head, yanking him off the roof. However, Bean's weight was too much for Espio to hold with one hand and he lost his grip off the wall and they both fell down.
"Okay. This isn't fun anymore." Bean wheezed, who had landed on his back.
"Really? I thought it was just starting to get interesting." Espio mumbled sarcastically, hoisting himself up off the ground, "now, can you tell me where you saw Vector? Or do I need to play with you more?"
Bean chortled, "Sure, if it means I get to keep my spine intact."
"Good." Espio held his hand out for the duck and helped him to his feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Charmy was talking to Bark while they were just waiting for the two to end their feud.
"Yeah, I guess I am worried about Espio, he's like my..." Charmy hesitated, "uh... brother? ... father? ... I'm not exactly sure what he is."
Bark just grunted and moved his head up slightly.
"I know, right? He says that he's not that worried about Vector, but I think he actually might be worried about him."
Seeing the two in the distance, Bark gestured towards the two. Charmy flew over to Espio, who was walking a few steps behind Bean.
"Hey, Espio! Did you find out where Vector is?"
"Well, yes and no, I know where he has been, not where he currently is, however, now we have more than nothing to work off of."

"You're welcome, by the way." Bean interrupted before leaving Espio to face his own partner, "well, I think we've been here for too long. We might as well get going."
Wanting to leave ages ago, Bark lifted up Bean in his arms, and began to ditch the bee and the chameleon.
"I'll be sure play with you again next time, Emily!" Bean threw a bomb on the ground so the smoke would prevent anyone from seeing in what direction they had escaped.
"Are you sure you can trust him?" Charmy asked.
"He has nothing to gain by lying to me, and what he has to lose..." Espio spun his kunai around his fingers, "he can't run away or hide forever, and now he knows that."
"... Espio, have you ever actually killed anyone?"
"Come on, we've got no time to waste."