Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Nicholi and I lead the way with fire dancing on our palms to light the tunnel. When the light from the entrance behind us begins to fade to black, the temperature drops and goosebumps rise along my arms.

"Something doesn't feel right," I whisper in the darkness, afraid if I speak too loud the whole building will come crashing down on us.

Haji and Malik exchange words, and Nailah interprets. "They don't want to go any farther."

Nicholi turns to face her. "You should all stay. Emery and I can take it from here."

Nailah shakes her head as the two guides continue arguing over something.

"What are they saying?" I ask, and Nailah meets my gaze.

"Malik believes this temple may be the one from his tribes' stories." She stops for a moment, listening. "A place that was cursed long ago, causing anyone who enters to leave this world and never return."

Nicholi and I exchange a look. When he gave me my powers back, I saw this place marked on a map. But I didn't see what waited inside. I may have a connection with the first Caster, but what if she thought the only way to keep me from Casting the spell that could endanger millions was to lead me here... to kill me? What if the visions, all the conversations with her, and everything in between were all part of a trap?

Malik snaps, raising his voice, and everyone goes silent. Jamari, Nailah, and Haji stare at him. Then, slowly, they begin to look at me.

"What?"

Nailah swallows and straightens her back. "He thinks that you are the wicked one."

"The wicked one?" I cock an eyebrow, feeling the urge to laugh. "You're kidding right?"

"You led us here to find a lost item that will help with the war against humans. That's what you said, and he believes you are evil for seeking something in a place like this... he thinks that you want to kill the humans."

I look between her and Malik. I consider the ways I could convince him otherwise. The things I could say to change his mind. But I don't need to justify my actions to him, and I certainly don't have time for silly legends that I know for a fact aren't true.

"Tell him turn back then." I spin on my heel, making my way deeper down the seemingly endless tunnel.

"Emery, wait," Nailah says. I hear her step after me, but she does not follow.

"Come or don't. It's your decision. But I've already come this far."

Silence follows my words as Mateo, Nicholi, and I walk alone.

Soon the sound of their breathing ceases. The shuffling steps and quiet whispers vanish, and we're alone. None of us says a word to each other. We just continue for several minutes, waiting to discover if we will make it out of this tunnel, or if the First Casters spirit was tricking us all along.

Tricking me.

It feels as if hours go by before we finally stop. My teeth chatter as I shiver from the cold, and I realize it's because we haven't just been traveling through the tunnel, we've been traveling down.

"I don't know how much further this goes..." I stop, placing a hand on the cold, stone wall. "I think I should try and speak to her."

"Can you do that?" Mateo's voice is small, but it cuts through the silence cramming the space.

"Sort of. I've never really tried. She usually comes to me."

"Here," Nicholi pulls a small vial from his pocket and hands it to me.