Chapter 37

I get a full view of Gage as he and Mason walk towards me. His dirty blonde hair and tattoo sleeved arm still stands out like I remember. He's wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt with one of his favorite bands on it. However, he looks different than the last time I saw him. He appears worn down and tired. Almost like he's aged ten years overnight. I knew this moment would eventually come. I didn't know it would be now, or even in Atlanta, but here we are. I always felt like I knew how I would respond to seeing him again. I've been filled with such rage for how he treated me. It continued to build up over time and I anticipated the day I would release it, lashing out onto him. Mason reaches me first, leaning in to give me a hug. I hug him back never taking my eyes off of Gage.

"Evy, I can explain this. You said forty-five minutes. I thought he would be gone before you got here." Mason says, sounding worried.

"I don't understand." I say, focusing on Gage. "What are you doing here?"

Gage rolls his eyes and points to Mason. "It seems I have a little problem and needed to come to Atlanta to get it fixed."

Mason speaks up before Gage can say anything else. "Gage has been into some drugs. His mother found a rehab place here in Atlanta. She couldn't bring him, so she asked me to do it. A friend of hers is supposed to meet me here and take him to rehab. I'm sorry, Evy. I thought he would be gone before you got here."

I can hear the sincerity in Mason's voice. I know he wouldn't purposely plan this so that Gage and I would see each other. It's an honest mistake. I pull Mason in for another hug.

"It's okay. Really." I respond.

Gage watches us closely. "Well, well. You two sure have gotten close."

"Don't start Gage." Mason warns. "If it wasn't for your mother asking, I would have left you in Savannah."

Gage's mouth tightens and I can see him gritting his teeth. His eyes are glaring at Mason and I feel nothing but tension between the two of them. I knew they weren't close anymore, but I feel like I'm missing something. A woman in a blue car pulls into the parking lot and honks her horn, pulling me out of my thoughts. She leaves her car running as she steps out and walks towards us. She's a short brunette woman that appears to be in her mid-forties. 

"Hello Gage. I'm a friend of your mothers. I recognize you by the photo she sent me." The woman says. "Are you ready to go?"

Gage nods his head while keeping his eyes on Mason.

"Okay, I'll wait in the car." The woman says and walks away.

Gage takes another drag of his cigarette and throws it down on the concrete. He slowly takes a few steps back before completely turning to walk towards the car. Mason and I watch him walk away from us. Just before Gage reaches the car, he turns back to Mason, smiling.

"You know, if you play your cards right, it won't be long and you'll be able to get in her pants too." Gage says with a wicked laugh.

His words pierce me like a knife. My mouth falls open in disbelief at what he just said. My mind tries to come up with some sort of response but fails to do so. Suddenly, I realize that I'm standing alone. I see Mason as he reaches Gage, grabbing a fist full of his shirt. Gage swings his arm out attempting to break the grasp that Mason has on him, but falls short. Mason pushes Gage, making him stumble a few steps backward. I watch as Mason's fist enters the space between them and connects with Gage's jaw, knocking him off of his feet. My feet catch up to what my eyes are seeing and I rush over to them.

"Mason! Don't!" I yell out.

The middle-aged brunette woman gets out of her car and rushes over to Gage. She pulls him up on his feet and restrains his arms behind him.