Chapter Five: The Riddle

True to my promise, I stood by Hisan, quite literally on the next day of offering.  I arrived at the plaza, to find that only Hisan and the Pharaoh where there, the rest of the kingdom having been told to stay at home.  The public response to Prince Hisan’s decree was mixed, of course they where all relieved that there would be enough food but knowing the Sphinx would be denied made many very afraid.  Some ponies even chose to leave the kingdom, so afraid at what the sphinx might do they gave up on the kingdom.  Nopony did anything to stop them, this was a terrifying time, who could blame them for protecting their families?

     Hisan, the Pharaoh and I where joined only by a few select Nobles, and Bomani with a few honor guards, the Pharaoh’s personal guard, all in full battle dress.  This meeting had the feeling of a Parlay between enemy armies, not a day of celebration as it was before.  That along made me sad, my fondest memories of the Offering day.  Family, friends, great banquets, music, laughter, all things denied on their dark day.

    The sphinx seemed to know something was different as she landed, her face neutral as she stood on the Podium.  She said nothing as she sat there, looking us over each on turn.  Something about her face, told me she missed the celebrations we used to have as well.  From the time I was a foal I remember the Sphinx swaying her head to the music, drinking wine by the barrel, and her smiles of joy.  Faced with only soldiers and diplomats, she knew something was wrong.  This time, Prince Hisan stepped forward instead of his father, and without greeting he began.

“Great sphinx, we have not been able to produce enough food to both feed our people and make our offering.” He said without emotion. “We have chosen to feed our people.”

I expected instant rage, or at least surprise but the sphinx only closed her eyes and nodded. “Pharaoh, do you agree with your son’s choice?”

“I support him fully, Great sphinx.” The Pharaoh said, patting Hisan on the back.

“Somnambula,I see you stand by your friend.” The Sphinx said addressing me.

“I do, Great Sphinx.”

“I offer my condolences for your wife.” The Sphinx said quietly, “when her heart is weighed, it will not be found lacking.”

“Thank you great Sphinx.” I said, politely bowing.

The Sphinx turned back to Hisan. “Dear Prince, you must know that this is unprecedented.  Nopony has ever refused me an offering.”

“I’m aware.” Hisan said. “You’ve forced this choice upon me, I will not let my people starve.  You taught me that I was responsible for every life in my kingdom and that I should do anything to protect them.  So there will be no more offering.”

The Sphinx’s upper lip curled in a snarl, and she was surround in an aura of flame.  “That’s where you’re wrong dear prince.” She said. “There will always be an offering, if you will not give me the fruits of your labors, I will take you.”

    None of use expected that, and before we could even figure out what she was talking about, the Sphinx reached forward with one of her massive paws to grab the prince.  None of us had ever seen the Sphinx show aggression, and it scared the soldiers so much that as she lunged those battle-hardened veterans jumped backwards.  All but one of them, that is.

    Bomani lept in front of Hisan, and deflected the Sphinx’s paw with his shield.  He stood with his calm, nuetral face, pointing his solid bronze spear over the crest of his tall Shiled, eyeing the sphinx.

“I made an oath to you Great Sphinx, that I would protect Hisan and his kingdom from all that would harm him.” Bomani said.

“Your courage is noted, Bomani but I don’t wish to hurt you.” The Sphinx said, “Get out of the way.”