8 "I appreciate your subtle approach, although I favour frankness."

Josephine and I went to one of the many coffee shops located nearby the school. She got an iced latte while I ordered a smoothie. I'd never been into caffeine.

"So Josephine: is there anything particular you wanna talk about?" I blurted out, after we'd taken seat. Based on experiences, no one ever asked me out just because he / her happened to feel the incentive to hang out with me.

She frowned. Playing with the draw in her drink, she replied several seconds later: "First of all, call me Josie. Secondly, I want to be friends with you 'cause I believe we're gonna get along very well. And last but not least: How the fuck are you so good at algebra?!"

I couldn't help but laughed. "Practice makes perfect."

She rolled her eyes and pouted, looking even more younger than her angelic features pointed out anyhow. "My best friend Jasper said the same. You guys would communicate phenomenally. But what's your ultimate trick?"

Jasper? As that breathtaking-smile-Jasper? Lord.

I folded my arms across my chest and leaned back. "I appreciate your subtle approach, although I favour frankness."

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Then let's hang out some more time."

I stirred the smoothie absentmindedly, feeling kind of flattered. How long had it been since I was engaged in a friendship? The pages on my social life pretty much remained blank after having entered senior year. The old class bounds ceased to exist. My former best friend Piper became hooked on heavy metal, commenced messing around in clubs and bars, got drunk every other night and woke up in someone else's bed every morning. We grew apart.

"Fine. Though I need to be in the principal's office-" I peeked at my watch, "in eight minutes."

"Is it because of the video? Any idea who uploaded it?"

Anger boiled in my blood again. "Inni." I pressed those syllables through clenched teeth.

"Oh my God." She covered her mouth with her hand. "Our moms have been like best friends forever which automatically makes us best friends even before we were born. He's usually a decent guy."

I rolled my eyes. Decent dick'd suit better. "Hold on a sec- just how many people exactly are you best friends with?"

She made a brooding face. "Well, since you're mentioning it, I guess with pretty much everyone. Shit, does that sound condescending?"

"Except for me," I pinpointed.

"Not anymore," she contradicts cheekily.

I grimaced. "Now I feel I was trapped."

"You were," she countered mischievously.

I stood up, ready to leave. "You're super annoying. Has anybody ever told you that?"

She smirked. "All the time."