twelve

Harry and I are horrible at being each other's soulmate, so much so that I'm beginning to think that pretending to be soulmates was so much easier.

We're no longer horrible to each other, but we are bad at transitioning from enemies to soulmates. My mum was right when she said that we're so used to hating each other that it's become our norm. And because of that, now that we've come to terms that we're not actually enemies, we suddenly don't know how to act around each other or how to talk to each other. It's like we're strangers who have just met and not a couple of young adults who have known each other since they're babies.

That said, it's silly of me to expect that we would be able to adjust to everything when it has only been a few days. It should take us at least a month or a year, tops. Besides, we're Cleo and Harry. We make things difficult for each other so it's only on brand for us to make this whole thing difficult too.

Adam suggested that Harry and I should spend more time with each other because that's what he did with Daisy when they tried to navigate through the awkwardness that apparently nearly everyone struggle with their soulmates.

I was advised to spend as much time as possible with Harry until we feel absolutely comfortable around each other as though we haven't spent our entire lives being forced to have dinner together, to spend time under the same roof because our parents thought by doing so they could speed up the process of us realising that we're actually soulmates.

So I don't know if I could take Adam's advice because things were different for he and Daisy because of several reasons: one, they didn't know each other prior to finding out they're soulmates and two, they didn't spend two decades hating on each other only to find out they're actually not enemies.

Conclusion is, Adam's suggestion might not work for Harry and I. But... it wouldn't hurt to try it out, right?

"Go on a double date with Daisy and me," Adam proposes, reappearing from the back of the store after he's finished putting away a few books. He stops at the counter and kinks an eyebrow at me, "We're supposed to go on a date tonight anyway and you could come with us--"

"No way." I shake my head, stopping him before he further wastes his breath on an idea that is now the second worst idea he has suggested.

So far, he's suggested a few date ideas: go to the cinema and watch a movie, go to a fancy restaurant and have dinner together, go for a walk at the park and finally, the most ridiculous idea is for me to surprise Harry at his office with lunch -- as if I have time for that.

Images of Harry and I sharing a table with Adam and Daisy pop into my head and I have to fight the urge to shiver right there and then. I have nothing against that couple but I'm not sure if I'd like to see how they are when they're on a date. They might be too sweet that I probably won't be able to handle it.

"Nope," I say again to emphasise my unwillingness to go on a double date.

"Why not?" Adam asks before quickly adding, "Double dates could make things less awkward for you two."

I continue to shake my head. "Double dates only work if the other two people don't know each other."

"What?" Adam looks at me, an incredulous laughter escaping his throat. "Where'd you get that?"

"Doesn't matter where I get that," I tell him with a pointed look. "What matters is that I won't go on a double date. Especially not with you and Daisy. Ever."

Adam throws his arms up in the air and huffs, "Then I've ran out of date ideas for you and Harry." As soon as he says that, he regards me with a contemplative eye like he has just figured something out, like he's pieced everything together. I cower a little but quickly mask it with a cough into my fist. Then I hold my head up high as I refuse to let him see that a mere glance could affect me. "Cleo. Are you against my ideas or are you generally against going on a date with Harry?"