How I Stood Up to Flash Thompson and Won Over Peter Parker

In high school, everyone seems to belong to their own little clique. A group of people just like them. I, however, did not. You'd think after a semester here, I'd finally find myself with at least one person in my friend group. That wasn't quite the case. I didn't really belong, but I also wasn't a total outcast. I was just there.

Most of my school days were spent dragging my way through classes and trying not to bite the head off of Flash. Lunches were boring and usually spent at an empty table in the corner. Well, mostly empty. MJ sat on the other side near the middle, her loser friends Peter and Ned squished in across from her.

MJ and I never really spoke to each other. I think she called me a loser once, but that was about it. We usually greet each other with a simple nod of our heads. Sometimes, as crazy as it sounds, we even smile. Shocker!

Peter Parker, on the other hand, hadn't looked my way. Ever. At least, not that I noticed. We share almost every class, but the dude doesn't even know I exist. Me, I find it hard not to notice him. It's not just because he wears those stupid science pun shirts, I mean I do like some of them. It's not because of his quirky behavior either.

No, I noticed Peter because of the genuine happiness he exudes around his friends. The way his face lights up when he and Ned are talking about their little Lego creations, or when they're talking about something science related. Peter was handsome, and I couldn't understand why nobody seemed to agree with that. Poor guy was constantly being teased by Flash, and his minions always joined in with laughter.

My infuriation with Flash started when he tried to cop a feel during gym class about a month after I got here. It blew up even more when I walked into class a few weeks later to see him teasing Peter Parker. Who comes up with the nickname Penis Parker? How is that even funny? I couldn't believe people found his remarks funny. News flash, it's not. His cringe attempt at bullying Parker was ridiculous and I had had enough.

We were all sitting at the lunch table, silence from me, the trio in a full-on heated conversation over something. I was focused on the book in my hands, untouched lunch tray to my side. As I flip the page, I hear sudden silence from the group down the table and then something hard hit it. Peeking my head up from my page, I look over and see Flash looming over Peter, a smirk on his face. He was ready to hurl insults at him again. Before he could spew garbage, I stood up, throwing my bag over my shoulder. MJ caught my eye, watching as I stepped away from the table, tray in hand.

"So sorry things didn't work out with Liz." I could hear the fake sympathy in his voice and it made me roll my eyes. I tossed my tray and continued to walk, but Flash's next remark had me stopping in my tracks. "Probably for the best. I mean, you're not really her style. People like us don't slum it with people like you. Face it, Penis Parker, you're going to be all alone the rest of your life with nothing but your lame friends."

I clenched my teeth in irritation, whirling around and stalking back to the table. Flash's friends had gathered by now, some shocked he stooped so low, some laughing just to keep up with him. I grabbed him by the shirt, shoving him back from the table.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Eugene?" I yelled at him.

Flash stares back at me. Was he frightened? That's possible. I pushed him back one more time making him lose his balance and catch himself by holding onto another table. I'm sure if I could see myself, I'd probably look like a mad woman. I didn't care. Flash had stepped too far over the line too many times, and this was his lesson.

"What do you get out of tearing Peter down? Does it really make you feel good about yourself? I promise you, more people care about Parker than they do you. At least he's a genuine guy. Who the hell cares if he's a freaking Brainiac and most likely smarter than most of the kids here. Who cares if he only hangs out with a select group of people. You have no right to spout such hateful things to him."