Milady x Athos: Reconciliation

Milady sighed for the twelfth time that afternoon. She was looking at a locket.

"Oh, enough already." You snapped. She looked up at you, snapping the locket shut. "You're pining is getting old. Just go see him."

"What are you talking about?" This was the only way Milady answered you. No matter how you phrased it, no matter how roundabout you were, she always knew you what you were asking. Or rather, who.

Athos.

From the moment he exited her world, she was... stagnant, almost. Like, she was going through the motions of life, but she wasn't feeling them. She refused to leave your estate on the outskirts of Paris. She claimed that the smog of the city was bothering her.

"I'm going into the city to get some fruit, if you'd like to come," You tried.

"You're getting bold with your attempts, sister." You sighed.

"Look, maybe if you get back into the city, it'll help. It's not Paris, you're sad about, it's one man. He can't keep you from the world." You pinned your cloak around your neck, and held out a hand in invitation. "If you don't like it, I'll never bring him up again." She raised an eyebrow. You curled the fingers of your extended hand, leaving only your pinky.

"I pinky-promise." She smiled at the mention of your childhood, and after a few moments of thought, she laced her pinky through yours.

...

"Alright," d'Artagnan strode into the parlour, throwing the curtains open. "Enough is enough." He turned to Athos, who was sitting on the sofa, staring at nothing in particular. The younger musketeer hauled Athos up by his arm. "You have been cooped up in here for weeks, and Treville is ordering you to come on patrol with us or you'll lose your position as a musketeer. Understand?" Athos nodded, with a bitter expression.

...

"Thank you," You smiled as you handed the merchant your coins and took the apples from him. You put them in your basket, next to your other groceries. "That's everything I needed, where do you want to go?" Milady, thought, and opened her mouth to answer, but shut it just as quickly. Then she tried again.

"How about the gardens?" You smiled and nodded, happy to see your sister getting back to her own self. You offered your arm, and you linked them together as you made your way down the street.

When you entered the park, you both sat on the edge of a fountain. Stone dolphins had water spouting from their blowholes, and you ran your hands through the cool water. Milady smiled as she pushed a leaf around on the surface of the water.

"Didn't I tell you it'd be fun?"

"I have to admit, I'm glad you convinced me. I'd almost forgotten—" Her eyes widened, and she stiffened.

"What is it?" You followed her gaze, and your eyes also widened when you caught sight of Athos, rooted in spot as he stared at the two of you. D'Artagnan was behind him "Oh lord." You turned to your sister. "Milady, I'm so sorry, I didn't know—" She held up a hand to stop you.

"No, Y/N. It's okay." She stood up. "I'd like to go home now." You nodded silently, grabbing your basket of groceries and following her.

To your surprise, she chose to exit the park the way Athos had come from. As you passed, Athos kept his face forward, but you noticed his eyes follow your sister, and that Milady slowed down as you passed. They both looked so forlorn, that you just snapped. "Oh for God sake!" You shouted, coming to a stop. Both turned to stare at you. "Just talk to each other!" You grabbed d'Artagnan's arm and dragged him away. "Come find us when you're finished. You both walked to a lush alcove of bushes.

"Thank God you said something." D'Artagnan groaned as he sat down. "He just sits in the dark all day."

"Tell me about it." You answered. "Milady's more ghost than human these days. I think they just need closure." D'Artagnan nodded. You both sat for the next fifteen minutes, making small talk until d'Artagnan stood up.

"Well, we should probably make sure they haven't killed each other." You nodded, standing up and smoothing your skirts.

"You're probably right." You left the alcove, looking for your sister and d'Artagnan's friend. You eventually found them sitting at the dolphin fountain, and your jaws dropped at the sight that greeted you.

Athos and Milady were holding each other, their foreheads pressed together. Milady was smiling, and Athos had a small smile as well as he leaned in for a quick peck.

Unable to tear your eyes away from the shocking sight, you raised your hand.

D'Artagnan high fived you.