Movie Review: KABIR SINGH

There is a thin line between Remakes & Adaptions, “Kabir Singh” is neither. In fact, there are no significant changes to plots or subplots compared to Arjun Reddy. Throughout the run time of 2 hours and 55 minutes, there are lot of ups and down in the journey of Kabir Singh as well as the audience.

Mr Reddy has written engaging first half which glues you to know more about how protagonist life unfolds after every scene. Transition between past and present scenes have been seamlessly executed. Background score is effective, and director has used it beautifully across few scenes like Train sounds during football match or sound of the rushing bus behind Shahid, when his friend gives him a news. There are many songs in the movie but none of them affect the narrative, in fact they keep the story moving ahead. Few witty one liners are really good & one of the dialogues spoken by Shahid’s grandmother to Arjan Bajwa is realistic and hard hitting. Shahid does a decent job as Kabir Singh but somehow loses the grip in second half, despite being a non-smoker he smokes like a smoker on screen which is commendable. Soham Majumdar as Shiva shines as a supporting friend in despair. Film does not glorify substance or alcohol abuse in any way although it being the central premise for the lead character.

With all the good comes bad parallelly, director fails to capture essence of north India. Hindi cuss words are beeped out while English cuss words are loud and clear although movie comes with an “A” certificate. Poor dubbing of some scenes involving whispering Kiara fails to shine considering her overall screen time, dialogues. Arjan Bajwa does not justify his role of being elder brother. Less emotional scenes involving Kabir’s family. There are few illogical scenes, like Tomar sir comes to Mumbai from Delhi to check on Shahid who is high on Morphine. His friend wedding which is slated in two days at the end of the film does not quite seem to happen as on the second day he is at Shahid’s house. In one of the scenes, judge in question says “Cool” after she hears certain explanation and why there is no representative of IMC (Indian Medical Council) in the proceedings? Mr Reddy being the editor of the film could have siphoned off some parts of the destruction Shahid is set to do to make narrative crisper and sharper.

Overall 3/5

My review: Shahid has done a splendid job but still my personal favourite would remain Kaminey. Reddy has executed it well considering his debut from regional to Pan India market, but some change in writing might have had audience at the edge of their seat. I did not like it because of climax, I am too fond of anti-climax J. If Jack could have survived in Titanic, it wouldn’t have been a cult classic.

#YourReviewonFC #kabirsingh