1.06: His Sister's Keeper

17 Years Ago

The Ark—Blake Residence (3rd Person POV)

In a small, single-room living unit, furnished with nothing more than a table, two beds, and a chair, Aurora Blake, in her 30s, pretty, and very pregnant, leans against a wall in physical distress. She cries out, then quickly stifles the pain. As she breathes through an intense contraction, the only one there to help her is a terrified seven-year-old boy.

"Mom? Please, mom...lemme get a doctor."

"No! You can't tell anyone...What happens if you do? Say it..."

"...You get floated."

Aurora nods, continuing to push, as she grabs the boy's hand, hard.

"Why is it wrong to have more than one baby?"

"The Ark couldn't survive...the Chancellor can't allow it."

"The Chancellor...he's like Augustus, right?"

"Yes...that's right...Like the emperor we read about...Be strong like him...Can you do that?"

The boy manages a nod.

Aurora bears down as another contraction takes hold. One final agonizing push. "...the baby's coming...get the blanket..." Somehow, the boy obeys, grabbing a blanket. Another brutal moment and his mother is holding out the newborn infant. Awe pushes back fear as he wraps the tiny child in the blanket. Aurora is fading fast. "...My brave boy...you have a sister...you should...name her..."

Looking at the baby, the boy is struck by a thought. "Augustus had a sister. Octavia."

The baby starts to squirm and whimper.

"We can't let her cry, Bell. Give her here..."

Bellamy moves to hand the baby to his mother, but she is clearly fighting a losing battle with exhaustion. "Mom? Mom, don't fall asleep."

Aurora is drifting to sleep. "Your sister...your responsibility..." She passes out cold.

Almost instantly, Octavia starts to cry.

"...No. Mom? What do I do?"

Aurora is unresponsive. The crying gets louder. Bellamy's eyes go to the door, his mother, the baby. He knows if anyone hears this, his mother will die.

He tries desperately to calm the child, bouncing, shushing. "...Shh. You can't cry. Please. It's okay. You're okay."

But nothing works. Finally, he puts a finger to the baby's lips. She instantly starts sucking. Suddenly, it's quiet. It takes Bellamy a moment to realize that it's over. He did it. Relief washes over him. He looks to his mother for approval, but she's still out cold. As his eyes return to the baby, he takes the burden of his sister.

"See? I told you. It's okay. I won't let anything bad happen to you, Octavia...I promise."

September 24, 2149

Earth—Main Camp (Karmilla's POV)

Bellamy bends down in front of my tent with a lit torch in his hand. He looks worried about something. "You're up?"

I stand and exit the tent, nodding to the older boy. "Yeah. Knowing that hundreds of people might be dying on the Ark makes it pretty hard to sleep." I step close to him.

"Raven's flares will work."

"Her radio would've worked better."

He stares at me with a sadness in his eyes. "Have you seen Octavia?"