Chapter 5

Anvy arrives in the hallway of her house, in the threshold of the living room. She knows it'd be smart to get some sleep while she can, before Vane drags her in for something unnecessary or an emergency with this whole guayus and rogue reaper business arises. But she isn't thinking about that. All Anvy can seem to think about is the amazing sex she just had with Kenai. The vampire is quite fascinating. He's as handsome as the other male warriors, but so sweet and smart. She wonders constantly what he's thinking, especially tonight. Out on their mission, every time he listened intently to someone, or scanned the situation, or even when he fought, he was so serious and seemed to be contemplating everything.

Speaking of the fight...he saved her life without a second thought. Besides that it moved her emotionally, it was also sexy as hell. He might not be as large as the demon, or as deadly as the banshee, or as stealthy as the other humanoid, but Kenai was no less of a warrior than them. Tonight, Anvy saw that. And what's more, she likes what she saw. She really likes Kenai, more than the usual guy she meets. As usual, she met a guy she likes and slept with him, but this time it was different.

It was spontaneous and crazy hot, the two of them fucking in an elevator after an innocent kiss initiated by Kenai. Their attraction and passion is so electrical, sparking whenever they're close to each other. Anvy couldn't help herself in that elevator and she loves that he couldn't either. And to her surprise, he was a virgin. Sure, she figured he wasn't really sexual and experienced like her, but perhaps that was part of the appeal. His innocence was both cute and alluring. Plus she can't leave out the way he treats her and looks at her. Instead of seeing her as a good time or pretty face, Kenai sees her as a person. And shoot her for thinking that's refreshing.

Then there was the way he treated her afterwards. He stroked her cheek tenderly, sweetly fixed her clothes, and walked her out. The most Anvy gets from guys after sex is a muttered goodbye as they pull up their pants or a toss of her clothes as they kick her out the door.

Oh, and that kiss on the way out... Never has Anvy ever been considering a second sexual encounter with a guy so soon. But she was, the second they kissed again. And still is... She wanted to stick around with Kenai and spend more time with him, but Anvy knows that's a warning sign. You never hang out after sex or stay the night. That's clingy and trouble; two things she and Kenai don't need.

Anvy shakes her head, feeling herself grin like an idiot. Who would have ever thought she'd get girly over a cute, little guy like Kenai? She's still daydreaming over the guy when she realizes she isn't alone. Raspeck is in the living room, reading on the couch when he looks up at her. "Anvy, you're getting in pretty late." He closes his book and sets it on the coffee table.

She walks into the room, nodding in agreement with a yawn. "Yeah, new assignment, remember? The Shield Guild works on a different schedule than the Haunt Squad."

He stands, running a hand through his spiked, blonde hair. "Oh, that's right. I forgot about your mission tonight..." His expression turns troubled and then he approaches her with narrowed eyes.

She eyes him back. "What?"

He takes in her look and frowns in disappointment. "Who were you with just now? Vane? Paenn?"

His words hurt her, stinging Anvy in a bad way that makes her rub over her heart. He is clearly referring to her disheveled appearance; her messy hair, her flushed skin, and her wrinkled dress are dead giveaways to the sex she just had. "No, and why would that be any of your business?"

He ignores her answer. "Dammit, Anvy. You shouldn't be sleeping with your boss. Don't you know how badly this could end for you? He's a reaper; you're a wraith. With one word from him, you could be fired." His scolding tone infuriates her. Anvy regrets telling him about her recent decision to become intimate with Vane, and her occasional get togethers with the other males on her team. She thought she could trust Raspeck, the one person who never seemed to judge her.