Prologue

Prologue.

"Harry, do you honestly believe them? I wouldn't do this!" She stares at me in disbelief.

How I could think of her in such a way, was beyond me, but I had no choice.

"I don't know, Alexis." I take a deep breath. "Everything and everyone right now is against you."

"You're against me too?" The corner of her lips lift, and she frowns.

"I'm not against you.. but the records are. You've seen the video.. you were the last person to talk to him before we found him dead."

"How could you send someone to keep an eye out for me? Is this what we are,now?" She takes her lower lip in between her teeth and sighs.

"I'm doing my job, Allie. You've got to support me here."

"You think I'd take someone's life? For real?"

I didn't think she would. Alexis was always the kind girl with a sweet smile and a soft heart. But this was a crime, and even though she was trapped in this, there was nothing I could do to prove her innocence.

"We have to work as a team. Please don't make this harder than it already is, I can't stand seeing those handcuffs on your hands, it's too much."

"Get these off me, Harry." She looks at the handcuffs that were cutting through her skin, and looks at me again. I couldn't get those off her, my job doesn't allow me to.

"I can't. You have to listen to me, Al."

"I thought you-loved me." She's shaking with fear, her face is stained with tears, and every next second of looking at this girl in handcuffs, behind the bars is making me want to help her escape and run away.

I do love you, Alexis. But sometimes, love isn't enough.