An Unfortunate Predicament

Karkat rolled over in his bed, trying to get comfortable. It was 2:00 in the morning and he had hardly slept a wink. Lousy human sleeping arrangements. Just then, he heard a small ding from his phone. Groaning and realizing he probably wasn't getting any more sleep, he reluctantly opened the mobile device. Seeing who it was from, he groaned louder and turned it back off, but it kept making noises. Two, three, four, five dings. Finally, he gave in and opened his phone back up to look at the messages.

2:24 AM

Dave: yo karkat

Dave: karkles

Dave: kittykat

Dave: kitkat

Dave: i know youre there man

Karkat: WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT DAVE

Karkat: IM TRYING TO SLEEP

Dave: you left your weird troll romcom at my house dude

Karkat: ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Karkat: YOU FUCKING NOOKWAFFLE ON A BULGESTICK

Karkat: YOU BOTHERED ME AT 2 IN THE FUCKING MORNING

Karkat: TO TELL MY I LEFT MY ROMCOM AT YOUR HOUSE

Karkat: WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS UNHOLY COULD YOU NOT HAVE WAITED UNTIL MORNING

Dave: just thought youd want it back

Karkat: OF COURSE I WANT IT BACK YOU DIMWITTED EXCUSE FOR A FEATHERBEAST-BRAINED HUMANOID LIFEFORM

Karkat: ILL BE THERE IN 10

Dave: cool see you

Read 2:32 AM

That fucking bitch. Karkat made a mental note to lose Dave's number. Having to deal with him gave Karkat a headache. He changed into a clean-ish sweater and a pair of pants before pulling on his black converse and heading out. It didn't take long to walk to Dave's apartment, it probably took closer to 6 minutes than 10. Karkat walked up the stairs to the apartment building and found Dave's. After inhabiting Earth C, he had decided to try and live a normal life with his brother, Dirk. That is to say, about as normal as a Strider's life gets. They had gone to school, got jobs, and rented an apartment, but they were still immortal. Karkat hadn't even knocked before Dave came to the door.

"Come in, and try to be quiet, Dirk's tryna sleep," he stated simply.

"You don't seem to care when I'm trying to sleep," Karkat snapped at him.

"Nope."

Karkat glared at Dave. "So where is it?"

"Where's what?" Dave cocked an eyebrow above his aviators.

"You know what, ass-coddler," Karkat hissed.

"Oh, that, yeah it's just in my room, come on," The taller male jerked his head backwards and turned around. Karkat followed him into a room down the hall. The room was a complete mess, empty apple juice bottles and bags of Doritos scattered over the floor, on the unmade bed, and on top of the desk. The only place free of mess was the turntables on the opposite side of the room. It looked exactly like the last time Karkat had been here. Dave closed the door behind them, then plopped down on the bed, opening a fresh bottle of apple juice.

"Dave, where is the movie?"

Dave took a swig out of his bottle. "Oh, you didn't leave your movie here, I just couldn't think of another way to get you to come over."

"WHAT?"

"Shhhhhh"

"You tricked me! Why did you want me over here anyway?"

"I don't know, you're the only person close enough to visit this time of night."

"Apparantly the only person stupid enough, too! I'm leaving, this was a waste of time!"

"Wait, Kitkat-" Karkat slammed the bedroom door in Dave's face.

Karkat's hand was on the apartment door handle when he felt someone grab his wrist. "What do you want now?"

"I thought you might want this back," Dave pulled Karkat's phone out of his pocket as he let go of the troll's arm. Karkat swiped his hand at it, but Dave pulled it just out of reach.

"What the fuck, Dave? Give it back!" Karkat grabbed at it again, but Dave just pulled it farther away. Karkat jumped at Dave, but this time Dave pulled the device above his head. "You bag of disease-ridden, worm-infested corpse bulges! Give it back!" Karkat jumped up and Dave levitated slightly above the ground.

"What's the magic word?" The blonde taunted.

"FUCKFACE, GIVE ME MY PHONE OR ELSE!"

"Or else what?" Before Karkat could retort, something made a loud noise, as if someone had slammed a door against the wall angrily.

"What in the name of all hell are you two doing yelling and prancing around at three in the morning? Some of us are trying to get some shuteye." Dirk had come out of his room, his hair a mess, dressed in a tank top and pajama bottoms, his shades forgotten by his bed so that the younger boys could clearly see the rage in his bright orange eyes. "I haven't got a good night's sleep in almost a week and I have a splitting headache, which you fucknuts aren't exactly making any better with your pointless bickering."

Dave and Karkat froze and stared at Dirk. Dave was a good three inches above the ground, the hand that held the phone outstretched behind and above him, the other pushing Karkat's face away. Karkat was on his tiptoes, one arm reaching for his phone, the other clutching the front of Dave's shirt. Dave spoke up, "Sorry dude, forgot."

"David Elizabeth Strider, I SPECIFICALLY told you BEFORE i went to bed that I NEED to sleep, and NOT to make noise, and you invited the loudest person you know over at THREE IN THE FUCKING MORNING." Dirk was fuming, pink magic dancing at his fingertips. Karkat squeezed his eyes shut as the room was illuminated by sparks. He felt something tug at him, not his body but his very essence. Almost as soon as it had begun, the tugging sensation stopped. As Karkat opened his eyes he immediately noticed that the room seemed to have gotten a lot darker. And he felt something on the bridge of his nose. He tentatively brought a hand to the top of his head where his horns should be, but all he felt was hair with too much gel in it to be his. He moved his hands to his ears, which he found were rounded instead of pointed, and had several piercings in them. He had just now realized that he was hovering, and yelped as he suddenly came crashing to the ground.

"What the FUCK, Dirk?" Karkat's voice piped up, but Karkat hadn't said anything. Have you figured it out yet, Dirk used his god powers to swap their souls, whoop whoop. "Why didn't you just kick us out?" Dave demanded.

"Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm exhausted and high as fuck on pain killers, Kark- er- Dave. Now get the fuck out of my house, that was a good idea."

"Ok, just let me pack my stuff-"

"Nope, out," Dirk pointed at the door. Karkat had just got up from the floor, removing the idiotic sunglasses from his face so he could see better. Before he could do anything else, Dirk had grabbed him by the arm and was dragging him out the door.

"HEY! I AM PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF WALKING MYSELF!" Dirk didn't listen, only dragged him outside the apartment and closed the door behind him. He looked over to where Dave was, only he didn't see him, so he had to look down. He had to squint to make out his facial features. Karkat had been so accustomed to the dark his whole life, but it turns out humans couldn't see as well in the dark as trolls could. Dave, however was reveling in the ability to see everything in better detail. Most people could never dream of seeing this well in the dark and- holy shit, Dave are you- he put his shades on. Back to mediocre eyesight I guess, irony seems to be more important. After a moment of silence, Karkat says, "You know this is all your fault, right?"