Chapter 6

THE NIGHT of her birthday came. The palace looked very lively and extravagant. Everyone was waiting for her appearance. She was supposed to be excited and happy that night, but her heart just can't. She felt lonely.

"You have to smile, Ms. Aphrodite," narinig niyang bulong ni Shi-An sa kanya habang papalabas sila ng kanyang silid.

She tried to smile when she saw her parents waiting for her at the grand staircase.

"This is your night, baby princess," her mother whispered as they walk down the staircase.

She took a deep breath as she walked down. Nakasisilaw ang mga kislap ng camera. Mabuti na lamang at nasanay na siya sa ganoong eksena. She tried to smile and wave her hand to the crowd waiting for her. Nang tuluyan silang makababa ng hagdan ay sinalubong siya ng mga tao doon. Isa isang ipinikailala ng kanyang ama sa kanya ang mga importanteng bisita nito. There were royalties, presidents, high-ranking officials, and many more.

Nakahinga siya ng maluwang nang makawala siya mga ito. Agad naman siyang dinaluhan ng kanyang mga pinsan. Nakatanggap siya ng ilang batok mula sa mga ito. They were surprised by the announcement. But what she loved the idea of them loving her no matter the identity that she had.

When the music began, isa isa na siyang isinayaw ng mga kalalakihan doon sa pangunguna ng kanyang makukulit na pinsan.

"I haven't seen Kuya Zeus yet. Is he late?" nagtatakang tanong niya kay Eros habang kasayaw ito.

He just smiled and shrugged. "He's probably out there somewhere."

"My father still owes him an apology."

"The king never owes an apology to anyone, 'couz," natatawang sabi ni Eros. "Oh, what should I call you now, 'couz? Princess Aphrodite?"

Inirapan niya ito. "Do you want to be locked in the dungeon, 'COUZ?"

Lalong natawa si Eros.

"Are you happy, 'couz?"

Napatitig siya dito bigla. He was already serious. "Why do you suddenly ask that?"

"Because we all want you to be happy." Bigla itong huminto.

A familiar song began to play.

Tale as old as time

True as it can be

Barely even friends

Then somebody bends

Unexpectedly

Eros slowly moved away, then another man appeared in front of her. Her breath seemed to run out when her heart recognized the familiar man standing before her eyes. It was like a dream and everyone else seemed to fade away.

"May I have a dance, my princess?" he asked as he reached out for her hand.

She gladly accepted with all her heart. And for the first time after she came back to the palace, she smiled wholeheartedly.

"H-how? W-why?" she didn't exactly know what to ask. She was already beginning to have her tears of joy fall.

"I'm sorry I'm late, princess." He planted a kiss on her head. "I just needed to fix myself so I can offer my whole self to you.

She looked at his eyes. She could see a lot of emotions through his eyes.

"I had also fallen in love with you the moment I saw you outside that church."