C H A P T E R N I N E

11.34 a.m.

"Go home," I repeated once again, my eyes directed at Willa. Her thumb was running from top to bottom her screen, to then be lifted to top once again and being dragged to the bottom as her eyes followed along, passing numerous posts. My demand could, as all my other attempts to make her leave, be thrown directly out of the window, as she ignored me.

My best friend had been sitting in the chair next to my bed for god knows how long. I had only woken up an hour ago, after going into surgery overnight.

It was a Thursday, and I knew her mom had let her skip today, but I still didn't like being the reason that she was ditching. I would still be stuck in this place after school, anyways.

I did tell her this, but of course, it didn't mean that she even considered leaving. She was even eating my pudding when the doctor came into my room, with a file thin as paper.

My mom herself had walked on a severely sprained ankle for weeks, refusing to go to the hospital before it turned completely purple. This would tell just enough about how often I had ever been taking to the doctor, hospital usually not even mentioned.

My mom had even insisted that we went home so I would be ready for school the next day, but this time, it was quite the opposite. My doctor wouldn't even discuss me leaving. The stitched up wound in my abdomen was still bleeding, just enough that they wanted to keep me for observation until tomorrow.

But at this time, not knowing what had happened, if everyone was okay, especially the pervert I had been sitting next to, I was an itch away from agreeing with my mother. I wanted to go home; it was driving me crazy being in here.

I had asked nurses multiple times, up to the point where if the same nurse walked in again, she would literally be wearing headphones. When I ripped out the headphones of the first one, a blond minion with way too much mascara on, my mom only sent me glances after the nurse snitched.

Bitch.

Luckily, she didn't return. Lucky for her, since I would've ripped those extensions right out, with a 10% chance of her roots following along, since the fake hair seemed so old, it was practically almost falling out.

It took up to a few times of me terrorizing nurses, before my mom gave Willa a spot in a chair next to me, to make sure I didn't try to escape. And there she had sat just up until, the doctor came in. I had asked both her and my mom to leave the room the second I recognized his face.

My mother also knew him, so she got up and left without a word. Willa, on the other hand, I had to ask up to a few times before she finally gave up and left. She almost reminded me of Lillian in that moment, refusing to leave because she knew the tea was coming.

She was quite stubborn when it came to certain things, they both were, but lucky for me, I won that competition within a heartbeat.

Once, when I would've been around six, I had poured up an entire bowl of oatmeal, despite my father telling me to only take what I could eat. Of course, I had known I wouldn't be able to eat all the breakfast I was making, but since my father had told me I couldn't, I needed to prove him wrong.

So, when I pushed the bowl across the table, declaring I was finished, it was pushed right back in front of my nose with the words; "You aren't leaving until you finish that bowl,"

My father had, at that point at least, thought this was a good teachable moment, on thinking before you acted. But,

It had been a long time since I last talked to my father, even longer when I had last seen him. There had been a period of a few months where he had called once in a while, asked how I was doing and then tried to carry on this god-awful, awkward conversation, until finally giving up, and we said goodbye. He eventually stopped, and his texts did, too, and I assumed he stopped caring.