On Top of The World

It took a few minutes to shake you from your shock, but once it did, you and Parzival could hardly do anything but scream in delight, and shock. You were still in shock. "Did that actually happen?" you screamed at Parzival who's eyes looked in danger of popping out of his head.

"I think it did!" he shouted back in reply. Both of you heard a ding and the small bell in the edge of your vision had a red dot. You looked at each other in confusion and clicked on it.

"Congratulations padawan," the holographic message that popped up read, "here is a reward for your hard work." You looked at the number and gasped.

"100, 000 coins?" Parzival squeaked. You could only nod in response. He shook his head and the shell-shocked look disappeared, "I think we've got to visit the store."

...

The two of you appeared in the lobby, and it didn't take long for Aech to seemingly appear out of nowhere screaming, "I can't believe you guys did it!"

"Shh!" you frantically tried to shush him as you and Parzival dragged him away from the crowded area and towards the store. The conversation around you was buzzing about the two of you. Luckily, you hadn't been recognized yet, but it was only a matter of time. It seemed like everyone was too busy speculating how did the two of you find the key to watch the gamertags of the people around them. "We haven't been recognized yet, so let's try to keep it that way." You told him in a hushed tone before the three of you leapt through the portal into the store.

"That is you guys on the board, right?" Aech had to confirm as he pointed up as if the scoreboard was hanging above you. It wasn't.

Parzival smiled smugly, "that's us. We got the key, and 100,000 coins."

"What?" Aech asked in shock, "no way! You won the key and 100,000 coins? That's insane!"

Parzival smiled giddily as the three of you walked through the empty store. Lining the halls were floating items you could get. They were bathed in a blue light, and below them were their price tags. The three of you had gotten deep enough into the store that the items weren't cheap. "As soon as I took the key, all the coins just appeared in my account."

Aech whirled around to look at you, "you too?" You nodded happily, "I'm soiling my haptics right now." Aech muttered.

"Gross," you laughed and gave him a light punch on the shoulder, "I didn't need to know that."

"What the hell's a catalyst?" Parzival asked suddenly as he looked at the item glowing in front of you.

"A bomb," you replied simply.

"Kills every avatar on a planet, even the owner." Aech elaborated for you.

Parzival looked away from the item, "who'd want that?"

You and Aech scoffed, "IOI." Aech voiced your thoughts, "they buy everything."

Parzival was already distracted and was looking at another item, "twenty-thou for the holy grand grenade? That's a steal!" he shouted excitedly and with a single click, bought the thing. He ran off to another thing as you and Aech followed him.

You chuckled to yourself, "he's like an overexcited puppy. It's adorable."

"Don't let him hear you calling him adorable," Aech laughed.

"Fight me."

"Whoa! Zemecki's Cube!" Parzival shouted, "I need one of those." You looked at the glowing rubik's cube, it was definitely interesting. You couldn't help it. You bought one as well.

"Okay," Aech grabbed onto Parzival's shoulders before he ran off again, "don't spend all your money."

Parzival nodded and seemed to calm down, until he noticed something that he would get in real life. The X1 haptic bootsuit. "Oh, yeah." He smiled as he bought it.

You facepalmed, "okay, that's the last thing." You sternly told him.

"Noted." He agreed.

"So how'd you guys do it?" Aech questioned.

You looked around, you didn't see anyone, but you didn't want to take any chances, "let's head back to your workshop, yeah?" you questioned.

Parzival and Aech both shot you looks of confusion, "sure, I guess." Aech agreed dubiously.

You rolled your eyes as neither of them understood, "for privacy. We wouldn't want everyone to suddenly know how to do this."

Understanding dawned on their faces and Parzival nodded eagerly, "makes sense!" Aech nodded and the three of you opened up your menus. You had Aech's warehouse pinned, so a simple click and the three of you teleported there.

You opened your eyes after being momentarily blinded by the bright, white, light and saw yourself in front of Aech's warehouse, with Parzival and Aech next to you. "All right," Aech unlocked the building and let the three of you in, "so here we go." He closed the door and then looked at the two of you, "how'd you do it?"

"It's a secret, okay? Don't tell anyone." Parzival told him seriously.

"Got it." Aech nodded.

"Promise?" you questioned, "the less people who know, the less competition we have."

"And the less competition, the better, got it?" Parzival finished your train of thought.

"Yeah, promise." Aech nodded, "so how'd you do it?" he questioned excitedly.

"Go backwards." You answered simply.

"Really, really fast." Parzival added.

You and Parzival gave each other a knowing smirk before saying at the same time, "put the pedal to the metal."

"Wait really?" Aech questioned dubiously, "you go backwards into the wall? You're gonna die!"

"Well obviously we didn't," you grinned with your arms crossed against your chest.

"A door opens and you go down." Parzival explained.

"Down?" Aech gave you a confused look.

"You literally race underneath the racetrack," you explained excitedly, "it's completely clear down there!"

"Yeah!" Parzival continued with his eyes alight with excitement, "you see everything that goes on above you too! It's really weird."

"Wow," Aech nodded, "that's really cool."

You suddenly yawned and glanced at the clock in the corner of your screen, "it's that time already?" you questioned in shock, "I've got to go guys, sorry!" you shouted hastily.

Parzival started, "darn me too." He grinned as he looked at the two of you and put a fist up, "first to the key!"

"First to the egg!" you and Aech shouted in response before you logged out. You couldn't stop smiling when you took off the gear and placed them on your table gently. You let out a squeal of excitement and gave a little dance in your room. You could hardly believe it. After five years of nothing, it was you who made the breakthrough. You let out another squeal.