Chapter Five: Juliet

Christmas was busy. We were preparing for everything that was soon to come. Positivity seemed to be the only vibe that filled the room. We'd just received the news that our baby was definitely a girl, much to the delight of Taylor in particular.

We're gathered around the living room of Jerrys house. It's big and beautiful and everywhere is gold. I'm seated in a large armchair, the kids sitting around me and opening presents.

"Ella, I got you something for the baby", Clara says standing up amongst the others.

"That's very sweet of you, what is it?"

"It's..",Clara brings out something carefully hidden under my armchair. She hands it to me.

"...This a box", I say. And it is. A simple shoebox painted a bright glittery pink with fluffy white feathers messily lining the edges.

"It's to put the baby in when she won't stop crying. Baby goes in, lid goes on, no more noise. I think it's very practical"

Jerry, you've raised a psychopath.

"That's...cute. Thank you, Clara".

She smiles and sits down, grinning at the others who seem defeated with their gifts of pink teddy bears and bottles.

"I could make you another, even better box", Greg mumbles.

"She already has one. Too late", Clara says.

Taylor walks over to us, a tray of hot cocoa in her hands. Jerry is with her. "How are we all doing over here?", she smiles as she sets the tray down.

"Lovely. Tay, could we put this in the baby room? I think it could replace our crib", I say handing her the shoebox.

"Is that what that was for, Clar?", Jerry asks her daughter.

"That's right", she says.

"Don't you think it's a bit dangerous?"

"It's got breathing holes, Mum". Taylor giggles softly. "I got you something too, Honey".

Taylor fetches something from under the Christmas tree.

"A sweater with a cat on it. You're unpredictable, aren't you?", I laugh.

"I knitted it! Isn't it darling?"

"Thank you, Taylor", I giggle, putting it on. It's wonderfully fuzzy and soft. And it smells like Meredith already.

We then decide to all gather in Jerrys large hallway. She owns a beautiful white grand piano. And has a beautiful voice to sing with it. We smile and sip from champagne (except for me of course) as we listen to her cover of The Christmas Song. Taylor sings All I Want For Christmas Is You, I sing O Holy Night, the girls sing a duet of Santa Baby. Everybody takes a turn at singing something. Even Gregory has a go at Jingle Bells.

The baby kicks gently. "Stay in there a bit longer, love", I whisper. I lazily grab another chocolate from a box which I have now taken complete ownership of.

"Ya know, that's just gonna all come up again in the morning", Jerry comments, her eyes slightly red from the wine she's drinking.

"Sweet things make Juliet kick", I say.

"Juliet? That's sooo sweet", Jerry sighs.

"Okay, you should put this down", I say, taking away her glass.

"I'm not drunk. Just tipsy"

"Let's keep it at tipsy, hmm?"

The rest of the night is filled with music, stories, and lame Christmas jokes. Taylors parents have given us some of her clothes from when she was a baby.