Chapter 1

Heavy grey clouds hung low in the sky one uneventful Thursday morning, letting tiny droplets of warmer-than-usual water fall relentlessly atop the green umbrella canopy I held onto, dripping soundlessly into murky puddles and drenching the black streets we walked along.

Bland cars honked to and fro, attempting to urge those in front of them to hurry the hell up so they, too, can get their young children to school before the bell. Thinking of this ahead of time, I decided it would be best to walk my two eight-year-old sons, Shiro and Kuro, to school instead of letting them carpool in Bakugou's Jeep; which didn't really have doors, anyway. Other faceless people migrated the street around us, slurred voices mixing together inaudibly as I weaved the boys through them.

As we drew near the quad of the school, the white and red of the Japanese flag began to shine prominently against the grey of the dreary October morning. Colorful paintings and posters lined the windows of the frontal school buildings, and the bright orange gateway looked as if it was glowing as I tugged Shiro and Kuro up the several stone steps to the entrance of the school.

"Alright," I finally huffed, turning to them and squeezing their hands that I had already been holding onto. The boys' eyes slowly drew up to mine. "I'll be back by the flag pole after school to pick you up, alright?"

"That's what you said yesterday." Shiro mumbled, lips straight with doubt.

"I know," I knelt down in front of them, trying to smile. "It's been busy, you know that."

Shiro merely rolled his eyes to the side, unwilling to participate any further in conversation while his brother stared at the ground. I sighed again.

"Hey," I demanded, tone hard this time. "I promise I'll be on time today, I pinkie promise."

At that, they slowly looked back up to me, still doubtful but now willing to listen. After another moment of silence, Shiro and Kuro lifted their little fingers.

Smiling, I hooked both of mine with theirs and pecked a quick kiss on either of their foreheads whilst I stood upright once again.

"Now, get your butts to class before the bell rings." I instructed, resting my hand on my hip as I smiled down at them.

Shiro and Kuro smiled and proceeded in running through the school gate; eventually disappearing in the ever-growing sea of grade-school children. I stood within the school's courtyard for a moment as the steady flow trickled into the building, and allowed my hand to fall down to my side after reopening my umbrella.

"Look what we have here," a familiar voice spoke just as I turned around, and I smiled upon seeing Bakugou looking back at me. "I feel like I see your boys more than I see you."

I let out a weak laugh as Bakugou approached, and pecked his cheek as he leaned down to hug me.

"It's been awhile," I agreed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. It was a rare sight to see Bakugou wearing any form of long sleeves; but today he was adorned in a dark grey turtle neck. The color contrasted against his light, spiky hair. "How have Ryoka and Ejiro been?"

"We're getting by," Bakugou replied, sliding his hands into his jean pockets. "What about Chinami? Is she still having issues controlling Dream Walker?"

At his question, I looked down. It was true that my oldest — Chinami — was growing stronger with every passing year. However, the more strength she acquired, the harder it became for her to control her Quirk. She and I spent most of our free time training to keep it under control, and as a result, I've been finding myself with less and less time for her brothers.

"She's working on it," I tried to smile. Bakugou set a hand on my shoulder. "However slowly, we're making progress."

"I can tell you're still worried."