I Worked At A Country Club. I Am Not The Same Anymore (Part 1)

The names and locations in this post have been changed to protect my identity and the identity of others.

In the summer of 2018 I decided that I did not want to continue college anymore. I was conflicted due to the cost of the tuition, and scared because of the looming debt I would have to start paying off after graduation. I was a sophomore at the time, and a college fund set up by my grandparents had gotten me through the first year and a half. When I had to take out the first loan I really began to wonder whether or not college was for me. I was not happy with my major or my school that I attended.

At the time I had always wanted to be a chef. I enjoyed being around food and most of my free time was spent in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes and recipes. After a long conversation with my parents, with their support, I decided I would drop out of college to pursue a career as a chef. The plan was to get a job at a restaurant for a year or two and save up enough money to attend culinary school. This would allow me to gain experience in the kitchen and attend culinary school without worrying about debt after I graduate.

After moving back in with my parents in my hometown, I began my job search. I applied to a few upscale restaurants and a few chain restaurants. When I realized that no one in any decent establishment would hire me for a full time cook position with no experience, I began to apply for a few dishwasher positions to get my foot in the door.

I heard back from two jobs. One was for a full-time prep cook position at locally owned steakhouse that I had been to a few times. I was shocked that I had even been considered given the fact I had no kitchen experience, let alone job experience. The second place that responded was the local Country Club. My parents had been members there a few years prior, so I had been there a good amount of times to eat and play golf and use the pool and other amenities. It was a nice and upscale establishment that hosted the wealthiest and most affluent members of our city. Even though it was for a dishwasher position, I decided to go to the interview since the chef scheduled it sooner that the steakhouse.

Trying to look the part, I dressed in a nice button down and khakis. It was the first time I had been to the country club in a good amount of time. I pulled into the visitor parking lot and tried to calm my nerves before going through the front doors. I told the receptionist that I was there for an interview with the chef for the dishwasher position, and she politely had me wait while she got him. After a few minutes she came out of a long hallway accompanied by the chef. He did not look like I had expected when I heard his voice on the phone. He was tall, maybe 6'5 and in his late fifties. His most defining features were his sunken eyes and grey moustache. He wore his white chef uniform with a black apron and a black baseball cap that was embroidered with the logo of what I assume was the culinary school he had attended.

"Howdy Jack!" The words flowed out of his mouth with the most Texan of accents. "I'm Chef Marcus, let's get you into the kitchen and into my office."

We pushed through the doors of the kitchen and immediately entered his office. He asked me some basic interview questions: what I want to do with my life, what my strengths and weaknesses are, and what I can bring to the table. Once the formalities were out of the way, he asked me about why I was interested in working in the kitchen and culinary school. I told him about the successes of my uncle and my passion for food and doing something I love. When I mentioned what culinary school I wanted to go to, he pointed to the diploma on the wall. He was an alumni. The conversation went on for a good thirty minutes. We talked about how he got into the restaurant industry, what I wanted to do with my life, and a range of other topics. I don't know if it was because I reminded him of his younger self, or if he saw me as someone who could really benefit the kitchen, but he decided the dishwasher job would probably hold me back.