28. Just Friends My Ass

My jaw dropped when I saw my ex coming into the living room. I could not believe my luck. Vini came straight to us, but Carla stood in his way.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I came to see my love. It's her birthday!" he came past his sister with determination. "Val... Happy birthday, amore!"

He pulled me into a hug, which I didn't have the courage to refuse. I didn't want to make a scene, and with us, there was always a scene.

"Grazie, Vini." My eyes shot back and forth.

"God, I missed you so much." He ran his tattoo-covered hand through the shaved side of his head, shifting in place.

"Come on, Vini. Let's talk outside." Carla pulled him, but he barely moved. "You can't be here."

He brushed her off, turning to me. "We need to talk, my love. I'm so sorry about how things ended between us. But I'm a different man now."

My breath instantly picked up at the start of our routine. I swallowed, looking around.

You gotta stand your ground, Val. Be strong.

"No, Vini. I stand by my--"

"You can't be serious!" He raised his voice, but it was drowned in the noise of the party. Carla and I startled. It was like being in the presence of a ticking bomb.

Vini pinched the bridge of his nose. "See what you make me do?"

"I'm sorry."

He reached out to touch my face, and I flinched.

"You're afraid of me, aren't you?" He snorted. "Baby, it's me!"

"Vini, please..." My eyes begged him.

"Just hear me out, okay?"

"Vini..."

"I'm asking nicely." He said between teeth. "What we had was real, babe. How can you be over me so soon?"

We had broken up years ago. It served to show how delusional Vini was. He came closer, and I stepped back, hitting someone. Ash was standing right behind me.

"Is everything okay here?" He stood tall.

", Ash. This is my ex, Vini, and he's already leaving."

"I am not," Vinicius retorted, now in a thick accented English. "Stay out of this, ragazzo. This not your business."

"It is my business if it involves her." Ash came to my side. Vini's eyes flashed with understanding. It was like watching a train wreck unfold.

"I see how it is..." He turned to me in Italian. "You're sleeping with this clown, aren't you, you fucking whore?"

He grabbed my arm with unnecessary force and tugged it, but before he could do anything else, Ash hit him square in the jaw. In a split second, everybody was looking at us. Carla screamed for her brother to stop and go home with her. Vini didn't listen, he was taken with rage. He hit Ash's face and got tackled through the door in return.

They were now rolling on the front yard, throwing punches at each other. Carla and I came right behind them, begging for them to stop. The only things that did the trick were my cousins and brother breaking them apart by force and my grandmother threatening to call the police. It took four cousins just to hold Ash's Scandinavian fury. In the end, Vini went home with a shame-stricken Carla coming undone in tears.