Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Miller’s suspicions were running high; he constantly checked behind himself and kept an eye out for Price as he entered the store. Why would Price want to meet here? Miller doubted he just happened to be doing some shopping. A more likely theory was that Price brought him here to either prove a point or play a trick.

Miller felt the eyes of the security guard on him as he passed. No doubt he appeared suspicious as he glanced around nervously. Attempting to put the security guard at ease, Miller smiled at him, then realised just how awkward and suspicious that must have looked. For the love of God, don’t get yourself accused of anything.

Walking down the length of the centre aisle, Miller kept searching for Price, wondering why either one of them was here. Was Price even here? While he wouldn’t put anything past him, a simple trick of sending Miller to a supermarket for no reason didn’t seem like Price’s style. For one, it wasn’t humiliating enough.

‘Hey, God-boy, over here.’

Miller stopped, took a deep breath, and turned around. Price was peering around the end of one of the aisles Miller had just walked past. He wasn’t holding a basket or any shopping, but he did have something small in his hand, metallic but not wide enough to be a phone. Before Miller could get a better look, Price disappeared back down the aisle. Miller followed him.

‘Is there a reason you wanted to meet me here?’ Miller asked, approaching Price, who was now midway down the aisle, looking back at where he’d just been standing.

‘Of course — I was interested in joining your religion, but then I figured it would be more cost-effective to buy the baloney directly.’

Rise above it. And Miller did. Maybe if he ignored Price’s comments enough he’d start talking to him like a human being.

‘Did you get the information?’ Price asked.

‘I spoke to whoever I could. Those I didn’t speak to were largely covered by those I did.’

Miller held up the clipboard with the notes he’d made.

‘Great,’ Price said, then shot off down to the end of the aisle, peeking around the corner again.

Was he following somebody? Don’t get involved, Miller told himself, just give him the notes and leave.

Miller joined Price, and was about to tell him he had no intention of becoming involved in his games, when Price started playing anyway. He lifted his hand outward into the adjoining aisle, holding the object Miller had noticed earlier. He could see it better now: a voice recorder. Curious as to whom he could be recording, Miller peered around the corner. The people Price appeared to be focusing on were a woman and her young daughter. The daughter — around four or five — was trailing behind. They were both walking away from where Price and Miller stood.

‘What are you doing?’ Miller asked.

‘Watch.’

Price clicked the play button. Instantly a child’s cry rang out, making several people nearby jump, including the woman. It was an older child’s cry, and it was clearly one of physical pain. Price switched the recorder off after only a couple of seconds, then hid it in his pocket. The woman twisted around, checking on her daughter. Once she saw that her daughter was OK, she carried on as if nothing had happened.

‘She checked,’ Price said to Miller. ‘In fact, several other people with kids nearby looked around as well, did you notice?’

‘Yes, she heard a child cry and checked her child was OK. I’m going to need some help seeing your point here, Price.’