Chapter One

Long ago, the land of Faerie was split into four kingdoms. Nature, Power, Life and Death. These four kingdoms lived in peace and harmony as they blossomed. They traded and exchanged resources. The kingdoms grew thanks to each other and the people lived in peace.
Nature helped the land to grow which aided Power in their bid for magic, minerals and new materials.
Power aided Life in growing and building up a kingdom which prospered.
And life aided them both in love, children and happiness.
The only kingdom which did not fit the cycle was Death.
Naturally, it did not fit the image of prosperity and peace which the other kingdoms had in mind, for Death was thought to be of destruction and hatred. Death was not seen as beautiful as the other Kingdoms were and this damaged relations. Death would claim those who passed on in the other kingdoms and coveted their souls, treasuring them in vaults beneath the citadel.
No one but Death could enter.
Tensions rose throughout the years as Death claimed more people until finally the treaties snapped.
The kingdoms went their separate ways and found other methods to survive on their own. Death continued to reap the souls of those who died for a fate worse than the Citadel awaited anyone left behind.
The history of the kingdoms slipped into legend. That legend slipped into myth until it was forgotten by those who revelled in the chaotic madness they had settled into throughout the past four hundred years.
The kingdoms could not make peace nor could they work together to help each other.

The story of the Origin of the Four Kingdoms was still ringing in my ears when I heard the music from the courtyard. The dim light of the moon mingled lazily with the soft glow of the candle and shadows danced across the pages of the scriptures I had laid out before me. The spidery scribbles of our history were tiny and difficult to read in the waning light of the room and I felt my eyes ache at the effort of trying.
It was late. Later than I should have been awake but the moon was a lure as all faeries knew and I walked to the window, my nose nearly pressed against the thin glass as I watched the dancers below. A great fire roared in the middle of them as their bodies twisted and writhed against each other with enthusiasm and excitement. I watched them dance like wild things, savage and snarling. They tore at each other with delight and traced the edges of wings, scales and marks. Fingertips pressed against skin and horns were reared up, catching the eyes of spectators. Lovers gasped into the others embrace and I longed to get closer.
The chaotic madness of the faeries was tempting indeed.
"Dorothy. Come away from there." A high, snooty voice called and I tore my gaze away from the alluring sight.
Madame Redknight stood with her back straight and her shoulders as tense as a bowstring.
As was suggested by her name, Madame Redknight was very, very red. Though her skin was the colour of cool milk, her eyes blazed with a fiery temper and her hair flowed down her back like blood. Her lips, painted a rueful ruby, were twisted into a grimace and I cast my eyes down at my shoes.
"What are you reading, young sprite?" She asked impatiently.
I wrung my hands together and looked over at the pieces of parchment.
"They're right there. You can clearly see the title." I said quickly, avoiding her gaze.
It was like she was burning a hole into my head. I could feel the fire which sparked in her eyes and it scolded me.
"Tell me. What. You. Were. Reading."
I felt the intensity of her gaze get hotter with each word and I gave in.
"Myths..." i said slowly.
"Of what?" She snapped.
The next words which came out of my mouth warranted a reaction I didn't quite expect.
"Of the four kingdoms."
I expected her to blow up in my face, yelling and screaming like the banshees in the woods.
Instead, she sighed and shook her head.
"Little sprite, focus on your real studies. They are stories. Nothing more."
I didn't quite believe that.
Stories always had some ring of truth to them.
Sleeping beauty had been warped. As had Snow White. There was probably some sort of truth to the story of the four kingdoms.
Madame Redknight cast one last disdainful glance in my direction before walking out of the library with the offhand comment of heading to bed.
Of course. She had come to dismiss me to bed.
That didn't surprise me.