Ch. 4

I listen to the sound of my heels clicking on the snowy sidewalk.

I sigh.

After Phil had to leave, I felt rather lonely. I mean, he's the only person I know here now, and I may be starting to develop some sort of feelings for him.

But that's pushing it.

A burst of cold wind comes and I snuggle up more in my black coat. I'm not very used to all the cold weather, but it doesn't bother me.

It's actually warming.

Mentally, of course.

I start to walk to the center of town, hearing the distant noise of people.

I pass by a couple of small shoppes, easily glancing at them, until I see a certain one.

A piano store.

My face instantly glows.

I've always loved playing the piano since I can remember. I'm very good too, might I add...

I open the door and hear a bell jingle.

I look around frantically, wondering if I broke something. I see a small bell at the top of the door.

Foreign countries... I swear....

I walk deeper into the store and start to look at all the piano books on the shelves.

I pick one up.

"HELLO!".

I jump, dropping the book on the floor.

"Oh I'm sorry, love".

I pick up the book from the floor and look an old lady with silver hair in front of me who pretty much yelled in my face.

"Oh, no. It's fine. Um hi!", I quietly say to the elder.

She chuckles as she realized I am getting red faced, which I tend to do.

"Do you need any help?", she asks, sweetly.

I shake my head, "No thank you. Just browsing".

She smiles and walks back to her desk.

I put the book back on the shelf and walk to another part of the store. Mostly so I don't have to talk to that lady again.

As pass by the metronomes, I start to hear a beautiful melody being played in the back of the store.

Out of curiosity, I walk over to the sound until I reach a black grand piano with a man playing.

I watch as his fingers effortlessly glide over each and every key like honey, rich and sweetly.

I start to feel a smile form on my face as I approach the brunette.

I try to quietly stand behind him while he plays an emotional yet wonderful sonatina that is unknown to me.

As he continues the song, I try to find a table to rest my arm on and without looking behind me, I lay my arm down on a music book.

I step back to reach it when, of course, it slides off the table, taking me down with it.

Before I could fall to the ground, the man turns around, ending his playing.

Perfect....

I end up on the ground with tens of books surrounding me. The man starts to chuckle and I look up at his face.

That can't be a real face.

The perfect structure of it is breathtaking, to say the least. When I glanced up at him, his rich brown eyes beamed as a smile formed on his face, that turned into a chuckle.

"Are you okay?", he asks.

I move my mouth but don't say anything.

This kinda thing happens way too much....

He raises his eyebrows, waiting for an answer. I look to the ground and grab the books that fell.

"Uh, yes. I am sorry, I didn't mean to be all 'creepy'", I say.

He chuckles.

"It's alright. I basically own the whole concept of being creepy".

I laugh.

He gets up from the bench and kneels down to help me up. He takes his hand out.

Slowly, I grab it, feeling the soft, warmness of it.

He graciously pulls me up to my feet which I immediately look to.

"Thank you", I whisper.

He smirks, making my heart jump a little.

"Oh!", I say, maybe a little too loudly, "I wanted to say how beautiful you play".

He smiles and shakes his head.

"Thank you, but I'm not a pro or anything".

"You're just being modest", I say smirking.

"Not a bad thing!", he says, making his voice go high.

I laugh and step back to place the books on the shelves.

"You know, uh, I used to play", I quietly say.

He raises his eyebrows and sits back on the bench, patting it.

I laugh.

"No, I couldn't. I haven't played in years...", I say, trailing off.

He scoffs.

"Oh come on! You can't be any worse than me! Here, how about if you take a seat next to me, I'll buy you a cup of tea".

My smile falls.

Tea.

Phil.

What am I doing? I had tea with Phil, I can't this to him. Well, we aren't technically dating so....

I roll my eyes.

"Fine".

He flashes a smile and opens a music book on the piano stand.

"Okay, so this is just a duet sonatina, shouldn't be difficult".

"Alright", I say, placing my hands on the keys.

As he starts to play, I start to feel something. Not love or romance, but company. That loneliness I was feeling had extinguished, and now, I have made a new friend.

When it was my turn to play, I went all in.

All of those years rejecting the piano right in front of me, was now all coming back.

It was time for me to make up for lost time.

I enjoyed watching our hands move slowly and effortlessly in perfect syncopation.

As we reached our final chord together, I couldn't help but smile, and I could see he had the same problem.

We sat in silence for a moment, soaking in the masterpiece we had just created.

"Wow. That was- You are really good", he says, turning toward me.

I smile and look down.

I play with the keys until I feel a hand on my chin.

"Why do you do that?", he whisper.

"What?", I whisper back.

He smirks, "Look down. You're too pretty to look down all the time".

My heart starts to flutter. He thinks I'm pretty? I feel my face getting warm and look back to my hands.

"Dammit!", I whisper and look back up.

He laughs and stands up, taking me with him.

"So, busy after this?", he asks.