Chapter 26: Battle

Lorien looked at Samuel with bitterness. “Why?” Lorien asked sadly.

He didn’t reply. Instead he kept his eyes on Lucas and tightened his grip on the sword. Lucas did the same. Lorien and Lucas stood back to back, Lorien facing Dmitri and Lucas facing Samuel, in the middle of the room while Dmitri stood on the balcony and Samuel remained in the doorway. Their glares were as piercing as the blades that they held.

Suddenly, there was a loud yell and out of nowhere, Mrs. Coldwell jumped onto Dmitri and attempted to push him off the edge of the balcony. Dmitri held onto the railing as Mrs. Coldwell held onto his shirt and she plummeted down. Dmitri stumbled slightly, then he looked down at the old woman to find her lifeless and unmoving. The loud thud of her body was enough to prove she was gone.

“No!” Lorien yelled and this triggered the battle. Lucas and Samuel charged at each other while Lorien used her magic to keep Dmitri away. Suddenly, her inside started burning up and her eyes became turquoise. She unleashed a magic that was so strong, it almost knocked Dmitri over the edge of the balcony. Her nails grew sharp like double edged blades, one touch and her nails would have gone deep into the skin. Dmitri fought Lorien with no mercy but she was still slightly stronger than him.

Then out of nowhere, Samuel let out a cry of pure agony and his eyes started flashing from grey to black. His skin started burning visibly and his hair started blazing a copper colour. Blood started seeping out of his skin slowly and Samuel fell to the ground in agony.

As Dmitri fought with Lorien, he looked at Samuel as he was grovelled. “Get up you fool, get up!” Dmitri yelled furiously but Samuel wasn’t capable of it.

Lucas knew he had to do something to help the young prince. He no longer saw him as an enemy. In fact, he pitied him. He bent down to grab Samuel by the arm and help him up but his arm was burning. Lucas immediately jerked his hand away.

“Go... help Lorien... don’t worry about me,” Samuel said hoarsely. Lucas looked at him and shook his head.

“No, I have to help you,” Lucas said but the prince pushed him away.

“Go! Save the girl!” Samuel yelled as loud as he could. Lucas still shook his head. He held tightly to Samuel’s arm, even though it was burning him. He pulled Samuel up off the floor and held him so he wouldn’t fall down again.

Samuel’s skin continued to blaze severely and Lucas’ hands were badly wounded but he still held on.

“Come on Samuel, don’t fall now,” Lucas whispered and Samuel looked at him. He nodded his head and Lucas let go of him. Samuel didn’t fall but it looked as though his state was getting worse. His eyes started blazing and his skin seemed to be flowing even more blood than it had previously. In no time at all, Samuel’s skin was covered in red but his face hadn’t changed. It still showed fury and anger.

Samuel and Lucas charged at Dmitri at the same time and Lorien moved out of the way. Samuel slammed Dmitri into the wall and Lucas stabbed his sword into Dmitri’s stomach, like a pin going through paper. It held Dmitri to the wall. The demon eventually started laughing.

“You think you can kill me? Are you forgetting that I am a demon, an immortal force of nature?” Dmitri said coldly with a laugh.

Lorien glared at him. “Immortal and invincible are completely different things,” Lorien growled. The three of them stared at the demon pinned to the wall. Dmitri struggled to get out but the sword was plunged too deeply.

“This is it, we must work together to rid us of this monstrosity in front of us,” Samuel said and he looked at Lucas and Lorien. They all nodded at each other in agreement.

Lorien stepped forward and closed her eyes, concentrating on the power within her. Go, my child, show them who you were born to be, a small and familiar voice in her head said. With that, her power grew and she released a large mass of blazing fire, marbled with all different colours. Samuel then stepped forward and released all the demonic power that was left in his body. When all the force hit Dmitri’s body, the scream of pain was piercing but it did not break them.

Suddenly, there was a blinding flash of light and three figures could be seen floating above them. Lucas looked at them. They looked like angels. One was tall, big and strong. He had light brown hair and fierce green eyes, just like Lucas. Another had a more delicate figure with blonde hair flowing down it’s back. It had a kind face. The last was taller than the first and even larger. It had dark brown hair and kind green eyes. When their faces were revealed, Lucas’ eyes widened.

The first was Sham, his brother. The other two were his mother and father. They all nodded to him and their spirits blended into one with another blinding flash of white light.

A large sword was suddenly floating down to him and it had a carving of an old tree on the handle. It was the tree in the meadow of the picture of his family in his room. Go Lucas, finish this, a deep voice said in his mind. This gave him courage, for he knew that it was his brother's spirit. Lucas charged forward and sliced Dmitri’s body in half effortlessly. The force that Lorien and Samuel were exerting was stopped and Dmitri’s body fell to the ground in pieces, then disappeared in a puff of silver smoke.

Lucas turned to look at Lorien and Samuel in triumph, but they were both lying on the floor, unconscious.