xiv. my dream

"So let me get this straight," Benny paused Vela's explanation to collect all of his thoughts, "Four years ago, you officially become a monster slayer-"

"A hunter." Vela corrected, giggling at his confused expression.

After narrowly escaping from the vampire nest, the group drove back to Ethan's place to quickly clean the mess, and the pair left before Ethan's parents came home. Now, walking side by side through the night, they traveled their way to Vela's home like they do everyday. 

Benny looked at her with a raised eyebrow while they continued to walk in the dark, "A hunter" He conceded before resuming his previous sentence, "And you've been hiding this secret bad-ass life with a cheerleader outfit and sarcastic comments."    

"Yep, pretty much." Vela admitted, feeling relieved of this secret she hid for so long. "You don't understand how hard it was keeping this away from you and Ethan." She recalls every time she so badly wanted to share her adventurous stories with her best friends.

Benny stared intently at the mesmerizing blonde as she anxiously fiddled with her messily colored nails that were painted on by Sofie after some constant begging, and tried to explain her reasoning for the lies. He reached out a hand to stop her nervous nail picking and quiet her alluring voice, "I understand: the enemies, the monsters," He shrugged his shoulders, "the risk wasn't worth it."

Vela's eyes filled with joy while glazing up at Benny, and she exhaled the anxiety through her nose, "Thank you." She lightly squeezed his hand and naturally smiled, displaying her post-braces teeth. 

Benny glances between Vela's captivating eyes and her soft skin warming up his hand. Cherishing the interaction, a small smirk danced along his lips until the feeling of the familiar blush filled his cheeks which he then snapped his trance by looking into the darkness ahead of them. 

"It's no problem." He mumbled, trying to keep his composure when she dropped her hand back to her side.

Benny's mind still clouded with questions about the whole event that occurred that night, "And the magic knife?" He pondered about the lost weapon that saved their lives. 

She chuckled at the phrasing, "It's a hexed knife that allows for both concealment and protection from feeling my thoughts and emotions, and makes a brutal weapon for killing basically anything."

"Hexed?" Benny repeated, still processing the new information regarding his best friend, "How did you even get this knife?"

She stared off to the moon shining above them, "My dad."

He peeks over at Vela's long face as she pictures the image of her father. Wanted to cheer her up, he made the best of the situation, "Of course he would make the ultimate knife." He smiled, recalling the friendly quirks of her dad, "Remember that time he made us walkie-talkies out of scrap when the group of kids smashed ours."

Vela smiles at the memory, one of the many she can remember about her father, "Yeah, dad was a craftsman." 

A classic family friendly home finally came into view. Toys littered across the lawn with a wooden picked fence wrapped around the front. The warm light looming from the house provided a path as the two approached the building.

Being the gentleman his Grandma taught him to be, Benny jogged up to the fence to open the gate for Vela, but stopped his movements when his lady continued to walk down the street. 

"Um, Vela?" He called out, pointing to the house in front of him, "Your house is right here." 

"You are correct."