Chapter 2

Hunter's POV

I was sat on the edge of the roof watching the walkers on the street below. We were trapped by them on all sides but that didn't stop me getting away from the others including my uncle Merle. The walkers started moving towards the tank a street over which I could just see from where I was perched. The whinnie of a frightened horse echoed from the same area along with a few sporadic gunshots.

I grabbed the radio from my waistband and put it to my mouth before hearing a gunshot inside of the tank. I turned the radio on and hoped it reached inside the tank. "Hello? You in the tank, you there?" The static buzzed a little before a man's voice came through. "Hello?"

"You are alive huh? You had me wondering," I answered adjusting my crossbow strap. "Where are you? Outside? Can you see me right now?", he asked frantically. "Jeez, you sure ask a lot of questions don't you? Yeah, I can see you. You're surrounded by walkers," I explained whilst trying to see a way to save this man. "Look, if I were you I would make a run for it," I suggested forming a plan in my head.

"That's it? Make a run for it?"

"Hey. Let me explain. You've got eyes on the outside here. There's one walker left up top but the others are still enjoying the feast. With me so far?", I asked. "So far," he replied but he didn't sound confident.

"Okay, the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you move now you actually stand a chance," I explained taking my finger off the radio button. I pressed the button in again, "got ammo?"

"In the duffle bag I dropped out there, and guns," he replied. "Can I get to it?"

I stood on my tippy toes and saw no way to get to the bag without becoming a second meal to the walkers. "The bag isn't an option. What do you have on you?"

There was a moment of silence, leaving me with static before he came back. "I've got a Beretta with one clip. Fifteen rounds," he answered slightly breathless. "Better make 'en count. Jump off the right side and keep going in that direction. There's an alley about 50 yards, be there," I stated firmly trying to sound unafraid for this man's life. "Hey, what's your name?"

I scoffed a little. "Introductions can wait. Move," I demanded before fastening the radio to my waistband and climbing down into the alley. I kept my hand around the handle of my hunting knife, standing on the balls of my feet. Suddenly a sheriff rounded the corner with a colt in his hand and pointed at my head. "Not dead! Come on," I yelled taking his hand and pulling him to the ladder. I began climbing and looked down, "hey officer! Time to go!"

We got onto the metal platform, both of us panting and tired. "Nice moves Clint Eastwood," I said sarcastically looking at him. "You the new sheriff in town?"

"You're just a kid. What are you doing here?"

"Saving you apparently," I answered before sighing. "Sorry sir. It's just been a strange day," I apologised standing up straight. He nodded in agreement and placed a hand on my shoulder, outstretching his other hand. "Rick," he said with a soft smile. I shook his hand with a slight awkwardness. "Hunter," I said before looking down at a walker climbing the ladder. "We need to go," I said looking up the second half of the ladder.

"On the bright side, it'll be the fall that kills us," I joked with a nervous laugh. We climbed up to the roof and I led him to the hatch, opening it. "Why'd you stick your neck out for me?", Rick asked with a hint of confusion. I looked at him from the ladder I was standing on, thinking for a very brief moment. "When I was really little my momma told me that you should always help those who need it cause you hope someone would do the same for you," I explained sadly.